Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishingtaz

bass bugs getting crushed

I've been tying alot of bass bugs lately n putting em in My normal fly boxes. I went to organize em today, n found a few of em crushed by the fly box being it sits so low :bugeyes: . My question is, what do you use to store your bugs in, and where do you get em. I've been using some plano boxes for right now doing alot of tying this winter, but need something I can store in My vest when Im out fishing.

I've been tying alot of bass bugs lately n putting em in My normal fly boxes. I went to organize em today, n found a few of em crushed by the fly box being it sits so low :bugeyes: . My question is, what do you use to store your bugs in, and where do you get em. I've been using some plano boxes for right now doing alot of tying this winter, but need something I can store in My vest when Im out fishing.

I actually store all of my bass flies in a tackle box that holds plano trays. Its not something you can put in your vest, but it is pretty handy when you are fishing from a boat.

hehe, yeah, I don't think it's realistic to hold a lot of bass flies in a regular fly box. I've tried a few different options, but my current favorite is something like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Tac...80;cat104619780

You can modify those tackle boxes to glue foam in them if you need to. I have one for topwater, one for heavier jig-style flies, one for baitfish flies and one for smallish panfish flies. That said, I usually fish from a bass boat, so I don't need my setup to be portable.

j stockard has a fly box that is deep enough to not crush bass bugs. i keep alot of my big musky flies in there and it doesnt crush them. it is a inexpensive box also

I normally use a plano box but not the big ones I use the little 3500 boxes or a couple of odd ball smaller one I have because they wont crush my flies and they fit into my belly boat storage compartments.

gallery4d6829ef7de8e.jpg

Steve

I normally use a plano box but not the big ones I use the little 3500 boxes or a couple of odd ball smaller one I have because they wont crush my flies and they fit into my belly boat storage compartments.

gallery4d6829ef7de8e.jpg

Steve

+1 on the boxes

gallery4d6829ef7de8e.jpg

Steve

+1 on the boxes

+2 on the boxes

ok if your old enough to remember VCRs the cases the tapes came in are great just glue some foam in them and your good to go will fit in a large vest pocket and can hold a few days worth of flies and you can find them at second hand stores for like 10 cents each

ok if your old enough to remember VCRs the cases the tapes came in are great just glue some foam in them and your good to go will fit in a large vest pocket and can hold a few days worth of flies and you can find them at second hand stores for like 10 cents each

My grandfather owns an old video store so i use these as well i make dividers out of other cases to fit inside them.

gallery4d6829ef7de8e.jpg

Steve

Agreed! I have several of the big 3700 size boxes I keep big flies in, but also use the smaller 3500 for carrying. Plano & Flambeau both make some good boxes suitable for bass bugs. :thumbup:

i broke down and got a nice box for my poppers and mice. Its the Flambeau wavey foam case, not too expencive and holds everything nice

post-23577-1298864020_thumb.jpg

i broke down and got a nice box for my poppers and mice. Its the Flambeau wavey foam case, not too expencive and holds everything nice

I love that box and have one but only use it now for overflow storage since it doesn't fit inthe pockets of my belly boat..... nice looking set of flies both you and Taz have there though.

Steve