Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flymanaj

Danvise

I've had mine now for about 3yrs now and only had to replace the jaws once. It's good vice for the money.

Mike

Ordered my Danvise and some strike indicators from jsflyfishing late Sunday night, got my order before noon today. One of the strike indicators was broken, I called them and they offered to send me a new pack for free! Plus free shipping! JS is topps in my book.

:headbang:

If that's all you can afford, it'll work fine. If you can spend more, I'd continue to shop around a bit. The Danvise is a reasonable entry level vise, but there are better out there.

If that's all you can afford, it'll work fine. If you can spend more, I'd continue to shop around a bit. The Danvise is a reasonable entry level vise, but there are better out there.

There might be better vices out there but not really for the money. I don't know of any other true rotary vice for 25 bucks. I know some people talk about small hooks flying out of the jaws but I have not had that experience. I think you have to follow the directions on how to place a hook in the jaws and not try to do it as you would on another vice.

If you have 300 bucks there are better vices for sure. But I wouldn't trade my DanVice for one price the same. I don't have the extension but have thought about picking it up as I do think the danvice can get in the way of itself. I don't know why they don't just make the extension part of the vice :dunno:

the extension arm is a real plus with this vise and really should be part of the vise package deal. I wouldn't use mine without it. The jaws, in my opinion, are the only real draw back on this vise. But once you've master the jaw adjustment you should never have any problems with those smaller hooks falling out on you.

Mike

I'm not what most people would consider being an entry level tier and it is my favorite vise to tie on but the extension arm is a must I tie bugs from size 28 to 8/0 on it with no problems and I have only had to replace the jaws once in the past 8 years which works out to be about 16000 flies and I know a few other guys who tie on them and swear by them if you don't believe me ask Bud Guidry how he likes his

There might be better vices out there but not really for the money. I don't know of any other true rotary vice for 25 bucks. I know some people talk about small hooks flying out of the jaws but I have not had that experience. I think you have to follow the directions on how to place a hook in the jaws and not try to do it as you would on another vice.

If you have 300 bucks there are better vices for sure. But I wouldn't trade my DanVice for one price the same. I don't have the extension but have thought about picking it up as I do think the danvice can get in the way of itself. I don't know why they don't just make the extension part of the vice :dunno:

Me either, but JS sell the two as a package deal.

According to the JS web site, the Danvise is by Danica and extension arm is from BT's Fly Fishing.

According to the BT's Fly Fishing web site they are the U.S. Distributor for the Danish manufacturer.

In the PDF file describing installing the extension on the Danvise it states that BT designed the extension arm.

My guess is the above may have something to do with the reason the extension arm does not automatically

come boxed with the vise.

I used a Danvise for two years as my travel vise. Then I picked up an HMH Spartan and gave the Danvise to a friend. In my opinion, the Danvise is hands down the best vise vise under $100.

to be honest, i have three i use constantly, and i wouldn't trade any of them for any other vise, not even a law, never had a problem with any of mine and i've run alot of hooks thru them all. one of the most comfortable vises i've ever used. people have tried to sell me on their expensive vises, ain't gonna happen ever

danvise rules on my tying desk

Well here's my 2 cents.......

Just bought a Dnvise off ebay for 67.00........and am currently using a full Rotary production vise from Orvis. The orvis is a work horse sweatshop vise for production tying.

I look at it that the Danvise in a sense is an upgrade...or at the least i am leaning towards the new tech...the bobbin rest. When I tye for my website to write about it....the Danvise will look alot better than my Orvis ever did. So part of the "upgrade" is for better pictures!

Not willing to toss 400 for a Renzetti!