Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
firedad

bobbins

I've only been tying for a couple of months, but I've already learned the super cheap ones suck. Only bought one of those though, also have a few Griffin bobbins which work ok. I still am yet to try a ceramic bobbin so if they're any better I don't know what I'm missing.

Firedad - A good bobbin makes all the difference.

My wife bought be a nice ceramic oversized bobbin a few years ago and I love it. Wish I had a dozen of them. Well, not long after I got it, my son who was probably 1 at the time decided to chew on it. At the time I thought it was harmless fun....until I noticed the ceramic tip came out (drool is a solvent I guess). I was left with a very useless bobbin. Then I got an idea to replace the tip. A friend of mine hooked me up with a glass bead he uses for midges and I glued it in and have run THOUSANDS of yards of 6/0 thread through it (making furled leaders) and haven't had any issue at all. I even recently replaced the butt end bead.

I wrote up a little article on how I did the replacement. It can be found on my website at http://www.guysfliesandpies.com/tips/bobbi...placement.shtml

The only thing I think you might have to do first is widen out the tip to accommodate the bead. I've never done that, but I'm sure it can be done if you think about how to do it.

I hope this helps.

You can do ok with solid thread or light pressure with the all metal ones...

But once you go ceramic... it's awesome :)

I have a few ceramic tip bobbins that i like. I've found one in particular just is great on spun deer hair flies for some reason. I just like the control I can get by squeezing it.

But, for 90% of my tying now, I have been using a rite bobbin, which has a screw to increase pressure on the spool to fit the situation and an all ceramic tube. that little thing is AWESOME. Love it, Love it, LOVE it!

Hi firedad,

It is possible to add a bead like oatka suggested to some of the regular-metal, flared bobbins. It just depends on how big the flared end of the metal bobbin is and how big the bead is you are trying to glue in place. If you decide to try this just follow the procedure outlined at oatka's website. Good luck & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I would recomend trying a Rite bobbin . They are one of the new sponsors here. Look for their banner at the top of the page . The Rite bobbin has a ceramic insert and adjustable tension settings for thread control.

I have been very satisfied with the ones I own. Just one tiers opinion.

Fred

i would recommend the tiemco bobbin holder. it has a ceramic tube and adjustable legs to provide whatever tension you may want to place on the bobbin.

I like the idea of a ceramic tube but I'll bet it cost a good bit. I have a few ceramic tip/butt bobbins and they drive me crazy - I almost hate them. With many threads, I can not get the thread threaded through as the tip gets caught under the ceramic tip and doesn't go through the hole; the ones I have, the hole in the ceramic is to small to use a bobbin threader.

The ceramic tip bobbins are the best thing to use for light thread you just have to stick and suck a whole bunch before the thread finds the hole.

Kirk

I like the idea of a ceramic tube but I'll bet it cost a good bit. I have a few ceramic tip/butt bobbins and they drive me crazy - I almost hate them. With many threads, I can not get the thread threaded through as the tip gets caught under the ceramic tip and doesn't go through the hole; the ones I have, the hole in the ceramic is to small to use a bobbin threader.

The ceramic tip bobbins are the best thing to use for light thread you just have to stick and suck a whole bunch before the thread finds the hole.

Kirk

That's what she said!!

I would recommend the Petijean. It comes with a price tag, but with how easy and quick it is to change threads, it replaces the need for many bobbin holders. Plus its very well made and feels great to tie with. ^_^

...you just have to stick and suck a whole bunch before the thread finds the hole.

Kirk

That's what she said!!

I was afraid someone would jump on that one.

Thanks for the great information. I did read the review on the J bobbin, it looks interesting enough. I guess the reason for not trying a ceramic bobbin yet is that I have three Griffin bobbins and one super cheap one and my 7 year old has a super cheap one too, a total of five. Since I just started fly fishing and fly tying only a couple months ago, and have spent a lot of money, my wife would give me a hard time if I came home with anymore little gadgets until fire season starts, as I work on a wildland fire engine.

Kirk

That's what she said!!

Tony, you are a naught, naught boy!!

smiley-ashamed006.gifsmiley-shocked028.gif