Fly Tying
russo2ja

Rubber Leg Alternatives

I was just wondering if there was anywhere to buy rubber legs other than at a fly shop? Maybe a craft store? Trying to save a couple of dollars and get more colors.

what is the best way to die them? do different bungie cords rubber have different diameters?

yes there are some thinner than others. I have found that the thinnest one is the easiest one to separate. If you have an REI near you they have a great price like $0.05 a foot. I'm not sure about dieing them though.

what is the best way to die them? do different bungie cords rubber have different diameters?

While its been a while since I purchased any, the different sized bungie cord material from West Marine, used to have different sized rubber and occasionally black rubber.

The nice thing is that their bungie material can be purchased by the inch and it is cheap!

www.fishingskirts.com that is the only rubber leg source I use any more..... more choices than is available anywhere else on the web and I have been everywhere to find them.

Steve

I long ago got away from using rubber legs, preferring "sili-legs" instead. I'm much more concerned about longevity than cost and rubber legs just deteriorate over time. Pretty frustrating to pick out a crab pattern from your fly box and find the legs on it are disintegrating - or all stuck together. The shops I tie for don't seem to have any preference about leg material at all since they're all saltwater shops and there's sufficient turnover that rubber legs wouldn't be a problem for them. I'm particularly fond of the sili-legs that come in various colors that area also barred. I'll attach a pic to show what I'm referring to....

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

post-30940-0-34677100-1309345923_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-97995200-1309345940_thumb.jpg

I second www.fishingskirts.com. I use them on everything - woolly buggers, poppers, salt water shrimp, crayfish, rubber-legged nymphs, stimulators, etc.

Although it's not rubber,you can't beat Bill's ant and beatle leg material for ant's and beatle patterns!

shane