Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Savage

bass flies

Dieter, you can at least cast it in a swimming pool or some other water that doesn't have fish to see how it swims.

Stippled, funny man but I'll bet you have more unused flies in people's hands than I do.

Savage, thanks and good luck on the bass fly search.

Kirk

Dieter, you can at least cast it in a swimming pool or some other water that doesn't have fish to see how it swims.

Stippled, funny man but I'll bet you have more unused flies in people's hands than I do.

Savage, thanks and good luck on the bass fly search.

Kirk

Who knows? But I have flies from a number of this forum's tiers which will never be fished unless I happen to have

more than one of a particular fly.

Kirk that's a great minnow pattern. I would like to try and tie some of these up for the spring. When you mentioned in a previous post you use 6mm foam are you using the foam from michael's craft store in sheets and glue them together with super 77 and then shape? Any help would be great and thanks. BF

I have not been fly fishing long but I primarily fish for bass, I have tried tying my own flieswith some success and caught some on some on wooly worms and clouser minnow variations that I tied. I use a baitcaster alot and know bass are suckers for crankbaits this time of year. So my question is are there any flies that can imitate a crankbait with the diving, the wobble, or the rattle that a crank bait produces? Thanks for any help I can get.

Pat Ehlers grim reaper has a rattle and is supposed to imitate a crayfish. I have not yet tried one but will be tying some soon.

Charlie

I have not been fly fishing long but I primarily fish for bass, I have tried tying my own flieswith some success and caught some on some on wooly worms and clouser minnow variations that I tied. I use a baitcaster alot and know bass are suckers for crankbaits this time of year. So my question is are there any flies that can imitate a crankbait with the diving, the wobble, or the rattle that a crank bait produces? Thanks for any help I can get.

There lots of info on the topic at this website http://www.flyfishingrussia.com/

post-34261-0-54485000-1327445277_thumb.jpg

The most reliable, seductive, and durable bass fly I have ever used is simple to tie and economical too.

Size 2 - 8 Gamagatsu B210 or Mustad 7669 hook with two splayed webby saddle hackle wings tied in about a 1/4 length from the eye in a V with a few strands of mylar flash and 2-3 hackles wound as throats to the eye. Presto! Anyone can tie them by the gross during a bad sermon.

Colors -- all orange with gold mylar; yellow V wings and red hackle with silver mylar; white V wings with blue hackles; all black; and chartreuse V with black hackle. For snaggy spots a mono weed guard would be wise too but it will add to tying time.

Retrieve in a stop and go with the wings kicking along the edges of weed beds and and over drop offs and hold on. If pike or pickerel are around you might need a byte tippet too.

Rocco

I've played with the floater divers for years and all worked to some extent but the pick up would kill you as they tend to dive deeper instead of coming out of the water. I finally came up with one that, while slightly fragile, is very easy to make, dives well, wiggles exceptionally and best of all, when pulled on too hard, turns over and comes up, making for an easy back cast. It looks crippled while floating as it floats on it's side.

post-20375-0-84720000-1422249959_thumb.jpg

post-20375-0-58617800-1422250017_thumb.jpg

post-20375-0-03772200-1422250056_thumb.jpg

Another POV: I use a fly rod because I want to cast lures that are too small/light to cast with spinning or baitcasting tackle. I can get pretty small using ultralight, but not as light as a foam spider for example.

I've messed with lipped "flies" on and off. Could never get consistent action from most of them. Tough to fish off a floating line. Worked better on an intermediate or sinking line particularly in still water. Had to retrieve all the way in or risk dislocating your shoulder trying to lift out of the water. These two worked the best even caught a few fish on them.

post-309-0-51943100-1422301165_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-76713000-1422301262_thumb.jpg

Kirk:

I like that jointed "fly". Have you thought about tying it on articulated shanks. Might reduce the tying time a bit.

This isn't exactly a swim bait for a fly rod, but I've used foam bodied slider type "poppers" and fished them rather briskly on top, and they've produced well. Little bass love them. It seems they just like chasing stuff around in spring? Any streamer can be fished rather briskly as well. A good producer for me on the bigger bass is the old "beer belly" streamer that I first saw back years ago in a Field & Stream magazine when Tap Taply and other old timers wrote for them. I believe it was in "Tap's Tips?" All it is is a rectangular piece of aluminum can from a coke or beer, cut to shank length for the hook you're using, bent over in half and cut to a minnow belly's shape. Then smooth the edges so your thread won't get cut, wrap it with thread after putting a good glue between the two halves, and cover with mylar tubing. Tie off the ends and add wings in the color of your choice. I used mostly white, often with a thin black topping. Often used a red tail just for "luck," too. Caught a 2.5 lb. jackfish (pickerel) in a little creek when my son was small, and wanted to see what the fish were like in that little water. He was impressed by that one! Around here, a 2.5 lb. jack is a BIG one.

IMO, anything that is worked briskly and underwater, or maybe even on top, is a fly rod equivalent of a crankbait. Not exactly, but reasonably close, and working a streamer or other fly fast lets you cover more water, which is a big asset for crankbaits, etc. Good luck.

Very intresting, they look fantastic. Ive seen on you tube someone using UV clear goo to make spoons. they use silly putty as the form. I wonder, if you used the same method... the redfish wouldnt destroy them. very cool. how do they cast?