Fly Tying

Fly Tying Bench - Drath

This was my first real woodworking project, the first thing I’d call a piece of furniture. It’s made of Aspen which is a pretty soft/easy wood to work with. Being a light colored wood it gives me a nice tying background. The finish is straight poly but if I had it to do over again I’d probably put a few coats of wax free shellac on under the poly. A poly topcoat is a nice finish to have if you ever spill your head cement (don’t ask how I know). The slot behind the vise is a trash receptacle and a very nice feature. It empties by pulling out the small drawer below it. I’d probably make the workspace a little deeper if I were to make another one. Not because I need more room to work but to make it easier to open the bottom row of top drawers when I have a lot of materials out. The thread spool rack is a separate piece made from 1/2” aspen and dowel rods. The long feather holders are plastic champagne glasses from the dollar store.The whole thing stays in my basement on that little desk in the pictures or on my coffee table in the basement family room.Let me know if you have any questions.I"ve attached a few "in progress" pics.-D

img4dd2c46549150.jpg

img4dd2c466e1d50.jpg

img4dd2c468839df.jpg

img4dd2c46a24706.jpg

img4dd2c46bb7f03.jpg

View the full article

I like the finished product. I was thinking of undertaking a similar project. I have a lot of furniture grade cedar that I got from my grandfather. Do you like having the sides of your bench enclosed? Does it help keep things contained? By the way, the trash slot idea is cool. I might have to copy that one.

Really nice woodwork in that! Great looking tying space as well.... I'd need one about 10X that size though with ALL the crap I've collected over the years :lol:

best-

Bob V

that is a really nice piece, i just made a tying station of my own using aspen ply wood, i really like the light color easy on the eyes.ill have to post pics of mine later

This is a beautiful project! I was looking to do something similar to keep my things organized and attractive in my small apartment. Just wondering if u could just give me some dimensions on your bench, so that maybe I could move forward with a replica. Thanks.

Nice attention to detail. I like the separate spool rack.

I can also relate to the needed space behind the vice - where your small drawers pull open into. It would probably be better to make the back plane a pegboard section, to which you add small hanging bins. Then you still have the vertical storage, but with no intrusion on the workspace. Below that, along the peg boards base, maybe a tool rack.

Finally, Im thinking two verical columns of three small drawers, one to each side of the work space. Span these by a top shelf that is not too deep wso as to obstruct the top row of bins...

That plus your craftsmanship and you may have solved the worlds problems!

Nice job, you'll have so many memories built into that piece. Looks good.

Flyunder said it best. Very, very nice!

In that case I'll just agree with him...and you. Love it. I just picked up an organizer from Bass Pro and that helps a lot since a plain flat surface becomes a mess in a hurry.