Fly Tying
TheCream

Sensitive question, guys

My hands fall apart in the winter. Between the weather and the crappy alcohol-based hand sanitizer we have to use at work, my hands get all dried out in a hurry. I have been using Gold Bond on my hands, but lately it doesn't seem to be helping much. I heard about a new thing called "Outdoor Hands" that is sold at Tractor Supply. Has anyone tried this? Or any other recommendations?

My granny uses mane and tail from southern states and her hands are ever so soft. Gold bond will work. You might want to ask your boss if you can bring your own sanitizer that doesnt dry out your hand as much but what do i know im 15. :D

Best thing I've found BY FAR - Udder Balm. If you have any sort of farm supply store or large animal vet nearby, they should have it. It is a cream that was developed to keep cows udders from getting chapped, and you can imagine the abuse that milkers take. I have also seen tubes marketed more for human use, but I haven't found them to work as well as the real stuff. It has a slight medicinal smell, but is totally safe for humans. My knuckles can be cracking open. One application before bed, maybe two, and I'm good to go.

Deeky

I second the udder balm! My hands get super dry from sanitizing as well and that stuff works great. Also, a good overnight treatment is bag balm.

The only thing I have found that really works for me is Neutrogena hand cream, used diligently right after every hand washing. I have tried udder cream and a bunch of others.

So that's my recommendation of a cream for TheCream.

I've tried a few brands and found that utter balm does work great. Our local Walmart carries it which surprised me. I remember my dad used allot of if when I was growing up in Wisconsin. Many of the dairy farmers had lots of it all the time.

Mike

Another good lotion is "Cornhuskers Lotion", used it when I lived up north and it did a great job on my hands when they got rough and started to crack. JMHO

Blane

corn huskers and Udder Butter are great and a little trick with the udder butter is to coat your hands and coat the inside of a pair of socks then slide the socks on your hands and go to bed by morning your hands will feel like a babies bottom

I tend to get skin splits on my hand mostly in winter. But I've had it happen to me at other times of the year when my hands are

in the water a lot such as when fishing for several days. I've been using Aspercreme with Aloe. A small amount applied two or

three times a day is usually enough for me.

Never heard of udder balm. Would you be talking about Bag Balm?

header.gif

Bag Balm

Best thing I've found BY FAR - Udder Balm. If you have any sort of farm supply store or large animal vet nearby, they should have it. It is a cream that was developed to keep cows udders from getting chapped, and you can imagine the abuse that milkers take. I have also seen tubes marketed more for human use, but I haven't found them to work as well as the real stuff. It has a slight medicinal smell, but is totally safe for humans. My knuckles can be cracking open. One application before bed, maybe two, and I'm good to go.

Deeky

Udder balm is used over the water here in UK. If its winter fishing and the chances are my hands will be wet all day I've started wearing the sealskinz gloves. Not sure if they are marketed as such in USA but they are thin enough to allow me to tie hooks and do must fishy related fine touch jobs but are 100% waterproof so hands stay unfrozen and uncracked.

I experience these issues for the same reasons, winter weather and hand sanitizer. I found a product called working hands that comes in a small green can. it seems to work good. I also have used a product called Zims Crack cream that works well.

No, udder balm is not bag balm. Do a search for 'udder balm' and you will get a number of brands and some of them have a 'store locator'. I'm assuming from the NYC in your name you are in New York City. Probably not a lot of farm supply stores around there. But udder balm is deffinitely different than bag balm.

Deeky

I had the misfortune of being stuck in Maine for six winters with a big woodstove, and I used to get it bad enough that the skin would split around the fingernails. There are lots of products that will help somewhat - just make sure they don't contain alcohol, or you'll be compounding the problem. Try to find one that has some kind of grease like lanolin. Just slobber it on and give it some time to soak in before you wipe off the excess. The longer, the better. It's messy and you have to do it once a day, but it'll help a lot. You could try greasing up your hands and putting on some cotton gloves at bedtime. You can also give yourself some protection by using one of the balms in between treatments. Look for one that has beeswax in it. Also, drink lots and lots of water. Regardless of what product you try, using a humidifier is the best solution - if you have a woodstove, time to give it a rest.