Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
boutdoors

Identifying fur

Got a small bag of fur from someone but they did not identify any of it. What would be a way of identifying it? How do I go about it?

Thanks,

Robert

When ya find out...let me know... :lol: I bought a "mixed bag" off of flea bay and have no idea what most of it is :rolleyes:

Murray

maybe a local taxidermist could help you? There are none anywhere near me so... :rolleyes:

Posting some good, clear, close up pictures of each patch would help.

Like Utyer mentioned would be helpful. If you have a local taxidermist in the area they maybe able to help ID the furs too. I work with allot of natural animal fur pelts & hides myself and sometimes it is hard to ID them if they're not marked.

Mike

If it turns out to be the urine-stained belly fur of a mature male red fox, you might be able to pick up a few bucks over at the Atlantic salmon fly forum. ;)

If it turns out to be the urine-stained belly fur of a mature male red fox, you might be able to pick up a few bucks over at the Atlantic salmon fly forum. ;)

And I just threw out the fox rug after 'a little accident'. :unsure: Nothing like hindsight.

Sorry to disappoint, it is the urine stained FEMALE Red Fox. The pink was blood stained with urine from an in heat female. It is the perfect color for a Catskill Hendrickson.

Sorry to disappoint, it is the urine stained FEMALE Red Fox. The pink was blood stained with urine from an in heat female. It is the perfect color for a Catskill Hendrickson.

When its written down it is strange what some folk think will make a great material. I've always wondered who sat looking at the Tups balls and thought 'now that hair is just perfect'

Truth be told for those wondering, there is absolutely no such thing as urine stained, or urine burned pink fox fur. It's another example of something that was put in writing, or mentioned as what may be the right color shade of the fur and/or dubbing should look like, and was taken literally. If it had anything to do with fox urine, one should be able to soak the same section of whitish grey fur in the urine and get the same result after a while. It's just the natural coloration that's found on some foxes. Some are faint pink and others have a deeper pink color also. It has nothing to do with an in heat female either. Need more proof? Here's a skin that I have that has the pink fur in the front leg/armpit area. The first pic is most of the skin. The second is a close-up of the fur in that area. The darker brown lumps are where the front legs used to be. The Tup's Indispensable dubbing story has some huge holes in it as well.

Regards,

Mark

post-12032-0-64305200-1346450111_thumb.jpg

post-12032-0-83373600-1346450166_thumb.jpg