Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Matt McK

Any advice on fly reels and rods

If it is at a fly shop where you plan to make a purchase, see if they will let you try it out. It also depends on what fish you are setting your sights on. A 7 wt would be a bit of overkill on a small mountain stream and a 3 wt would be a bad choice for largemouth. The reel needs to be right for the rod...You want a lot of room for backing for large water and fish that are going to run but on the other hand you need very little backing on a mountain stream. Don't fall for a sales pitch and buy the most expensive one in the shop but do try to get a quality one so you don't get discouraged.

Well Matt, that's a bit like saying you're buying a dog, what's a good breed.

My view is that the bigger companies offer warranties and generally offer could aftersales help. For me, the difference in a £50 rod and a £150 rod is significant. The difference over that amount im yet to be convinced of. Seems every year the top rods are lighter better etc. They said that last week about the previous top rod? That said, my favourite rod is a cheaper rod but built on a blank seen in other firms labels for much more money.

Reels for trout I like a large arbor and have never needed a drag. Salt water and big fish might justify a good drag. I personally hate reels that click when retrieving line. I just about bare a reel with a sound for giving out line. You will probably need to throw some names out of what you are looking at and folk can argue the finer points over brands.

Well Matt, that's a bit like saying you're buying a dog, what's a good breed.

An Airedale would be my choice.

really? Me too. Love their beardy faces. Only other breed I love is an otter hound. One day when the kids leave, or the wife, whichever sooner I'll have one.

really? Me too. Love their beardy faces. Only other breed I love is an otter hound. One day when the kids leave, or the wife, whichever sooner I'll have one.

Seamus, age 12.

IMG00196-20120129-1221-1.jpg

Beautiful. And what's the dogs name ;)

Cute...

My cousin's dog. She is no longer able to walk him, so I've been doing so on weekends for the last two years. I just love that guy.

For anything short of salmon, steelhead, and saltwater I would buy a Pflueger Medalist to match the rod. I love them. Simple and almost indestructable. Did I mention cheap. I have never fished salmon or steelhead but I think I would even try one of the large models of the 1500 series on them too. They will work fine on most salties too but they do require some careful cleaning after each trip to the salt.

As others indicated it would help if you gave some more info - species, area, type of water, price range, etc.

As for dogs, this is my third Westie, but for outdoors stuff my brother's spaniel is pretty good.

IMG_9178.jpg

Any preferences on fly rods or reels? Im about to buy one and make sure I am getting the right one.

Thanks

as others have stated, not enough information to provide you with an answer

length and weight

casting style

what species are you fishing for

whats your budget