Fly Tying
eastern fly

American Opossum

There are two Oppossum on Ebay under twenty dollars. There is a guy from Columbia, IL that must smoke crack he is selling Oppossum for 146.00. Crazy!!!!!

There are two Oppossum on Ebay under twenty dollars. There is a guy from Columbia, IL that must smoke crack he is selling Oppossum for 146.00. Crazy!!!!!

He must be. If thats the going price. I'm loading the shot gun.

Kevin

It costs less than $10 to tan a fur that size, I say we buy every $3 pelt Riff has. Did you see his prices, $80 something and up to $146. Is Oppossum a code word for something else?

Kevin why so keen on this fur for your wings? You could buy a heap of squirrel, arctic runner, arctic fox or calf tails dyed all manner of colours for same or less cash.

Kevin why so keen on this fur for your wings? You could buy a heap of squirrel, arctic runner, arctic fox or calf tails dyed all manner of colours for same or less cash.

I bought a few packs of Arctic Fox and wasnt empressed with the amout you get for that price. I was hoping this would be better for the price. I might just dye it myself.

Kevin

I wish that I could more easily get a pelt up here in Canada....I regularly see them on ebay and in online shops in the US for around $15-$20, but the permits to ship one up here would likely exceed $100.

I doubt you're gonna do much better than Glacier's price for a tanned skin - however, if it's patches you want, these folks sell packs for under a buck a pack. They sell a ton of other useful stuff as well. Their products aren't listed on their website, but call or write them and they'll send you a catalog. It's a Mom-and-Pop operation and their reputation is very solid.

http://theriaultflies.com/

Possum is my favorite dubbing next to silk. I never miss a chance at acquiring some. The American possum has a lot of guard hair in it and can be kind of sparse. My labs bring me a couple each year from the back yard. They snatch them right off the fence.

Australian or New Zealand Opposum is the best. Some of the rust colored around the rear legs are outstanding without dying. Problem is they can get expensive to buy and ship to the states. There is one on EBay right now for like thirty bucks! Skips worldwide but not to the U.S. what's up with that?

I like Coffin Furs too. They are great to deal with. Have not bought in awhile but they used to ship to you first with an invoice to pay. Who does that anymore?

Stay away from scraps unless you are absolutely sure of the source. Garment makers shear the long guard hairs before they cut them and the scraps are useless for fine dubbing because you can't separate the hairs anymore.

I doubt you're gonna do much better than Glacier's price for a tanned skin - however, if it's patches you want, these folks sell packs for under a buck a pack. They sell a ton of other useful stuff as well. Their products aren't listed on their website, but call or write them and they'll send you a catalog. It's a Mom-and-Pop operation and their reputation is very solid.

http://theriaultflies.com/

PJ

Thanks for referring them to me for yarn. You did this on the KW flies. I ordered from them yesterday. The owner was a nice guy; I enjoyed talking to him. To keep on track with this thread Opossum, we call the Grinners or George Jones's, were $.95 a pack or if you bought 3 or more packs $.81. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the links. Another site I have looked at is Moscow hide and fur: www.hideandfur.com

I wll check out Glaciers for sure.

T

Australian or New Zealand Opposum is the best. Some of the rust colored around the rear legs are outstanding without dying. Problem is they can get expensive to buy and ship to the states.

Must be something with US customs specifically. I just picked up one, 36" long, off eBay right here in Canada for $25.