Fly Tying
Piker20

bench light advice sought.

I am looking at buying a lamp specifically for my tying. So I am thinking of an overhead strip style light. I have been looking at old style bulb lights which would provide longevity as the bulb can be replaced, and LED style lights which have a lifetime of X years.

With the bulb lights, I have read suggestions for a daylight bulb, others say a fluroscent strip gives less harsh light.

Buy cheap and just replace as needed or buy well and see it out last me?

What are peoples experiences and recommendations for a decent light?

I picked up a light from staples a few weeks back. It is adjustable and gives a ton of room between it and the vice. It uses the same 13w daylight bulb as the more expensive lights and was only $30. I will try to find it on their site and link you to it.

Piker ... I'm not sure what you are asking for. By "overhead strip style" ... are you looking for general area lighting? Then I recommend a cheap florescent garage strip light, 4 foot length. I have these in my garage (where I spend too much time tinkering) and they provide more than enough light for my old eyes.

If you are looking at an articulated arm light that is going to put the light right on the fly, then go with the new LED light. Cooler, by far ... brighter without glare (amazingly). I love these lights, which I have one at work. They are too expensive for me to have one at home, yet ... but I will get one soon.

to my eyes LED lights are too blue in color.

ott or daylight brands are really good. ott lights can be very expensive.

check out your local tesco, hardware or stationary stores. they may carry the daylight/full spectrum lamps at a fraction of the cost.

i use 2 of these $25 lamps from home depot

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31tM1zCfm2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ebay for LED lights. Get them direct from the factory, less than a dollar for many led bulb lights. An LED panel may be the way to go as well. You can get a normal lamp that uses bulbs and just order some LED lights of ebay that will fit into it.

got a nice LED from bed bath and beyond $11 to assist my four foot fluorescent and my magnifier light. I like the long arm and it puts the light right where I want it.

I use a swing arm style drafters light with a 23w CFL daylight bulb. Not the brand name bulbs, just from the HW store. They are, I believe, 6500K. The long arm light is great as it keeps out of my way and I've found the light to be just as good as the OTT/daylight brands for less money.

I use the Daylight brand with "daylight" bulbs. It gives a nice even lighting effect, and the lamp is great for illuminating flies as you

photograph them.

Bill

^this for me too.

i have this one-

http://www.amazon.com/Daylight-Table-Craft-Lamp--White/dp/B000WV069M/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1358786871&sr=8-8&keywords=daylight+magnifying+lamp

and although i like additional light- this is where i get my direct lighting- it has been a great lamp.

clarkii.

Piker ... I'm not sure what you are asking for. By "overhead strip style" ... are you looking for general area lighting? Then I recommend a cheap florescent garage strip light, 4 foot length. I have these in my garage (where I spend too much time tinkering) and they provide more than enough light for my old eyes.

If you are looking at an articulated arm light that is going to put the light right on the fly, then go with the new LED light. Cooler, by far ... brighter without glare (amazingly). I love these lights, which I have one at work. They are too expensive for me to have one at home, yet ... but I will get one soon.

Yep an on the fly light. Not wanting one that clips to the vice. The two links are the things I am looking at but was thinking the rectangular ones might give better even lighting over a round shade type. I might do the two lamps as Flytire says and avoid shadows that way.

I think I will go LED over bulb as I too feel the bulbs are a harsher light.

I think I will go LED over bulb as I too feel the bulbs are a harsher light.

try b4 u buy. you may be suprised or not

I have used a freestanding room upright lamp with a daylight bulb for general reading etc and didn't find it very good. But that wasn't directed right at my fly which might be a difference.

I have 2 ott lites on my bench and a 2ft flourescent above to illuminate my cabinet. Only thing i want to add is a lighted magnifier. Currently i use a giraffe magnifier. I prefer the daylight bulbs to everything else.

I have a small desk lamp that illuminates direcly above the fly then also 2 36" bar lights mounted under the shelfs on my desk, I built the desk for a fly tying corner, so it happened to work well