Fly Tying
dontheo

CASTING BEAD HEADS

I have taken up tying my early season fly, a bead head nymph, but always look like it is the first time I have ever casted before. Granted, it's the beggining of the season and I am a bit rusty anyway. I usually use a side cast kind of like throwing a baseball side arm which keeps the rod and me relatively safe. But it still ain't pretty.

The waters are pretty hard to wade and fast too. I gotbthevhigh sticking part down but when I finally want an open loop I can't get one. Is there a trick to this iam missing. Google doesn't have crap on it. I would like to try a dropper set up sometime but I got to be doing something wrong.

I like a 4-5 weight fast rod that I usually assemble and tune myself.

I got to be missing something. Luckily when it's this cold iam the only ass out there so I don't get too embarrassed.

If your trying to get an open loop then the fast rod is not helping. But breaking your wrist more and opening your cast up (go farther forward and farther backwards) will open the loop up some as well. Also might want to overline the rod with a line or even two line wt's heavier line. That will slow the rod action down and give you a more open loop as well as load the rod with less line out from the tip for in closer nymphing.

Steve

Steve hit it. A slower rod will make it a lot easier. I have a soft middle action rod im not too happy with but when fishing 3 flies it is great. Can't cast 3 on my faster rod without some tangled droppers but the softer one all day with no problems.

What all those guys above me have said and...let the current below you "load" the rod before making a forward cast...there are some good tips HERE which may assist the understanding of the nymphing process:

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/nymph.htm

Check tactics at the top of the page as well...ain't nothin' pretty about nymphing, if the fly isn't in the water, it won't catch fish

PT/TB

Thanks guys. I have used that trick of letting the current load the rod. Early season I like to fish beneath a dam that is wide open due to he snow melt. Yeah, it ain't pretty! Good news is iam the only one crazy enough to be out fishing this time of year at this spot. Got to occasionally clear the ice off the guides.

Thanks guys. I have used that trick of letting the current load the rod. Early season I like to fish beneath a dam that is wide open due to he snow melt. Yeah, it ain't pretty! Good news is iam the only one crazy enough to be out fishing this time of year at this spot. Got to occasionally clear the ice off the guides.

Ice in the guides ? Try THIS:

http://www.loonoutdoors.com/products.html#stanleys-ice-off-paste

PT/TB

There are two strategies.

1. Water haul cast

Allow the fly line to flow downstream and when the fly line is straight, make your upstream cast. The flowing water loads the rod for the forward cast.

http://www.takemefishing.org/fishing/fly-fishing/fly-fishing-tips-and-tricks/haul-casting/

2. The Belgian Cast.

This is a cast in which the rod tip goes in an oval. There is no reversal of motion that causes multiple flies to tangle and the oval cast prevents tailing loops.

Thanks for all the tips. I have tried the loading by the stream but the Belgian cast looks lik the ticket if I use a different rod too. Often at this time it is not possible to wade. Nice site also.

It might be first casts of the season too. I don't have the muscle memory I did when I was younger.

Thanks again, I let you know how it works out.

I like a 4-5 weight fast rod that I usually assemble and tune myself.

Pretty much what everyone said -- fast rods throw tight loops. Find a quality IM6 on Ebay and you'll throw nice, wide, beautiful loops that can roll out a team of flies on a straight leader. A DT line on a slow rod will cast a team much better at short distances as well.

Thanks all., won't have time to build the slower rod till this fall but I will give the rest a shot.

I've been throwing some bead heads, too. I find that my back cast is key, as usual. If I throw the line higher on the back cast, I get a better forward cast that keeps the bead from whipping past my head. Start your back cast hard, to really throw the line behind you. Stop the rod movement on the back cast a little early, to send it a little higher.

Of course, it's very important to check where your back cast is going first ... even high tree branches can surprise you with this method.

mikechell:

Tree branches don't suprise me anymore. I consider them a fact of life and an unavoidable occurence. The only consolation I have is when I look back behind me and see other lines in the tree as well:)

I have heard that if you are not losing flies you are not nymphing, but I think they were not referring to tree branches. lol I wouldn't have any reason to tie more flys if I didn't lose them.