Fly Tying
Flyeye

dying natural grizzle hackles.

Hi Guys

Hope you can help me. I bought some vienard kingfisher color. I have cleaned my feathers and did what I suposed to do "well I think" But all my feathers are getting dark green. but my fingers is very blue :-)

way is that possible ??

i did the same thing one more time but without cleaning the feathers. and they also got green.

Can anyone tell me whats wrong and how to doo ??

Best regard

Flyeye.

If you are dying onto a colour other than white, the natural feather colour is going to darken the final result. You would need to bleach the feathers first. For dying I find some cheap white hen capes.

No you can dying all kinds of feathers, you are buying them every time when you are in a shop ;-)

I have dyed many kinds of colores and feathers. but now suddently my blue color are getting green. that i dont understand.

can the viniard color getting to old ???

Flyeye

Could be a lot of reasons. Try a batch with some sample feathers first. You have to really clean them well. Like with a detergent for laundry. Make sure your proportions of mix to water are correct. Only use stainless steel pans too. Are you setting the color after you dyed them with vinegar? This may account for why your hands are blue but you rinse off the color from the hackle. My final, just enough knowledge to get you in trouble is, different colors set at different rates and this varies with the colors the dye is made up of, the temperature and the material you are dying. I have found some genetic capes to be very hard to set the color on.

Oh, make sure who ever is in charge of the kitchen is not at home. Stick with stainless for everthing and you won't have to worry about the pots or utensils if you clean them right away.

Dontheo I put in the color in boiling Water when it has set the color i put in a litle bit of vinegar. that is what i always are doing

but this time the feathers are getting green but the towels and my fingers are very kingfisher blue. what a mees ;-)

I have even tryet taking feathers from two different grizzle necks

Can the powder getting to old ???

by the way thanks for your responce it is very helpfull

Flyeye

I'm not sure why you would be getting green from Kingfisher blue, as green would be a combination of blue & yellow. It's possible the dye you received is not as it was labeled. I don't know what is mixed to get kingfisher blue dye, but it's also possible the components of the dye has segregated. Try carefully stirring the dye powder before you attempt dyeing again to be sure you have a homogeneous mix and test it with a small sample feather.

How clean the feathers might be will have some affect on how much dye they will absorb, but should not change the color drastically.

Flyeye, you should not be boiling the water for the dye as some dyes are more sensitive to heat than others. Most dyes I've used worked fine at about 165 to 175 degrees Fahrenheit. (73.9 to 79.5 Celsius) Getting the solution too hot can also damage your feathers.

Since dyes are chemicals, it is possible there is decomposition going on & changing the dye. Dyes & other chemicals can lose potency & even break down, so if that dye is old, then it is possible that could be your problem. I've had problems getting the correct shade of color with some dyes, but it was usually my error, not a problem with the dye. I either used too much or not enough dye.

Hi Guys.

I have now been trying to do all the Things you tell me. but all feathers are getting green.

the brand is Veniard.

Maybe it is to old.Bbut I dont understand that my fingers and the tissue I am using are getting blue.

Butt all the feathers is from the same neck. I have cleaned it so maybe there are something in the cleaning there is not good.

but know I will try to buy another neck and color it I dont give up. :-)

Flyeye