Fly Tying

I'm looking to get a new 8wt rod/reel for salmon. I want to spend 200$ max. So, i'm looking at the Cabela's RLS+ Fly Combo or the Streamlight Ultra Two-Piece Fly Rod Outfits, 7-9 Wt. at LL Bean. Anyone have ethier and what would you recommend. or does anyone have suggestions for an 8wt rod/reel under 200?

I just got a setup for this fall for salmon fishing myself. I went with an 8wt redington pursuit rod, $120 taxes in from a local shop, 9'6 8Wt, and then got a deal on a used reel from a friend on here that will work for Salmon (has a very nice drag system). Add an 8wtWF salmon/steelhead line at another $80 and I got setup for around $320 and change minus the backing. That being said I know that the reel is worth $300-360 easily and is very important with a salmon rod from what I understand, I did a lot of research about this rod and it seems that the pursuit handles salmon very well for the price range.

I am curious to see what others think, I have never fished for salmon before and wanted a dedicated cheaper rod so that I would not cry if a big dirty salmon ends up breaking my rod. From what I understand the big dirty salmon have a tendency to leave broken rods in its path at times which is why I really did my research about rods and fighting big fish. I went through 3-4 different options, getting a custom rod built, a slightly used $600 rod for $250 discounted...all said and done I went with the cheaper option so my girlfriend does not put me in the dog house.

I would say you need a reliable drag for a salmon reel and a genuine large arbour if you intend to use a spry line, for shooting heads the 8-9 weight trout reel is fine. You certainly don't.need to spend a lot but fashion in the UK is to buy a silly money reel for salmon.

Think about a Switch rod. I have used a 7/8 wt Wild Water Switch rod for the past few seasons and love it. I use it for both salmon and steel on the Great Lakes' tribs. http://www.wildwaterflyfishing.com/ The rod w/case was $159 shipped. Also has a life-time guarantee.

Not sure if they offer a combo package on the Switch rod, but you could probably get a complete single handed combo for under $150. I have not used their reels, but have a few friends that do with no issues.

Another great discount store is the Cortland Factory Store. http://cortlandline.blogspot.com/p/factory-store.html Never go by their website, always call them. The actual store has much more discounted inventory than the website. I have spent over $1000 in that store and have figured that I saved over $1500 off of retail.

I purchased a Switch line for $10 that listed for $80. It was discounted because there was fading in the line color. One time I walked in with a 3 year old fly reel that I was having some issues with, I just wanted them to look at it. Rich the manager, went to the reel section, picked out a box of the same model and handed me the new reel and the spool from the reel that I brought in and told me "you are all set"! So I picked out another discounted $10 fly line and he spooled the backing and fly line on for me at no charge other than the $10 for the line. That is great customer service!

I never pass that store without stopping in, and I never make a fly fishing related purchase before calling the store. Their inventory is constantly changing.

thanks

I forgot to say that I have hardly ever fly fished before and i'm a terrible caster, but i am getting better. Would a switch rod be harder for a beginner to cast? Also, i only will be go salmon fishing 2 or 3 time a year

I have a Cabelas 8 wt LST rod (9'6") and a Cabelas CSR reel for it that I use for salmon and steelhead. I've had it for about 5 yrs now and haven't had any issues with it. When I hook a salmon I'm not scared to lay into the rod either. I've hooked and landed quite a few salmon and steelhead with this outfit and it handles them just fine for me. I paid just over $200.00 for it when I got it.

As someone else said, you need a reel with a good drag and one that will hold plenty of backing. They're like hooking into a freight train and when they take off hang on. smile.png

I got a 7/8 'Steelhead Special' combo from Rugged Creek (www.ruggedcreek.com) for $199. Rod, Reel, Line, backing, Tube... all of it. I like the rod, I love the reel. The line is fine for single hand casting - I'm way too new at two handed casting to make it fly, but I think with a heavier line I won't have any problems.

Just thought i would add that what you want will be entirely dependant on what species and also the size of the river, salmon flies are generally pretty small compared to steelhead patterns and say for pinks and coho i will use a 5wt, if it is mud sharks you are after then do not use anything less than an 8wt, i have blown up two 8’s so far with these fish. Found the 9 foot 6 range of rods tend to have a bit extra low down grunt compared to modern build super light weight 8’s. Be wary that the mud sharks can be in excess of 30 lb and if silver and fresh can be quite the effort to land.

If you are fishing skeena size rivers consider a dh rod.

A stout strong 9'6 to 10' rod is ideal, and this will also be a great bass, carp, and flats style rod.

Enjoy!!!

I'm looking to get a new 8wt rod/reel for salmon. I want to spend 200$ max. So, i'm looking at the Cabela's RLS+ Fly Combo or the Streamlight Ultra Two-Piece Fly Rod Outfits, 7-9 Wt. at LL Bean. Anyone have ethier and what would you recommend. or does anyone have suggestions for an 8wt rod/reel under 200?

go with the cabelas rod they have yet to fail me

go with the cabelas rod they have yet to fail me

Did u get a combo? Which one?