Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

Replacing fly line

Do you ever need to replace your fly line with new line? It really shouldn't wear down much unless you do alot of casting on grass but even then it should be pretty good. Does the fly line just get old and need to be replaced? Im talking fresh water fishing not salt water. So have you ever had to replace your fly line. if so why?

Thanks

Do you ever need to replace your fly line with new line? It really shouldn't wear down much unless you do alot of casting on grass but even then it should be pretty good. Does the fly line just get old and need to be replaced? Im talking fresh water fishing not salt water. So have you ever had to replace your fly line. if so why?

Thanks

I fish around 200 days a year so I usually end up replacing my fly line every year on the rods I use the most. Usually because it starts to crack, or doesn't float anymore.

Short answer, yes.

Modern fly lines have a plastic coating. As the plastic ages, it becomes brittle and begins to crack. Once that happens, you're only option is to replace it. With proper care and storage, when not in use, though, a fly line should last most people 5 or 6 years, or even a bit more.

I'm with Switch10, especially with floating lines. The polymer coating is affected by light dirt and time. It becomes harder then cracks. If you get water into the core it will not float. You can get something called Permaplas to "re plasticise" the line but it doesn't extend their life by very much.

Maintaining the line, I've found, doesn't extend its life much, but does improve performance. A wash and polish never goes amiss.

Cheers

C.

i clean my fly line pretty often i have had the same orvis gen3 line for a little over a year now and its almost just the same as when i bought it i think i may have to change it out in about 5 or 6 months though because it is starting to stiffen up i fish almost every day of the year also smile.png but yea you need to replace your line as needed and what fits best remember most of the time you get what you pay for

Been considering a double taper for my 5wt, you would get twice as much life out of it by just reversing the line over when one end starts to fail. Line seems pretty expensive these days considering it is just a plastic noodle on a core.

I replace mine..only really cause Im a sucker for the latest and greatest. I am huge fan of textured line so my last big "switch" was to textured lines. Still have a few more to do!!

Those new lines do shoot better than the old lines. In fact the floaters seem to float better as well. Most of my lines are old. I did have to replace my 9wt that was cracked into about a million tiny pieces. I replaced it with a Wulff. I actually used it that way for several days before I actually noticed it being cracked. I still had to use until I could get it replaced. It actually still cast well and floated fine. I assume it has a mono core. It was a real old SA Saltwater taper floating line. The line was over 20 years old but it had been in storage most of those years. I have no complaints and I have an 8wt that will probably soon follow as it is almost as old as the 9wt.

I Put line dressing on my line after every fishing trip. Got Cortland fairplay line that is about 8 or 9 years old and still cast like new. Stored in a dark closet when not in use.

I replace mine..only really cause Im a sucker for the latest and greatest. I am huge fan of textured line so my last big "switch" was to textured lines. Still have a few more to do!!

Y0 chef i have tried one of those sharkskin lines in a 12, was shocked how thin it was and yet could still turn over a huge fly, only problem was it was quite noisy and you need to protect your fingers. Cast really nicely. You think these new lines are more durable? The rio leviathan is really strong with a super hard coating which is great on a boat.

Yes, I replace my lines when they wear out or are damaged in a way that hurts performance.

With a double tapered line I can reverse the line after the front wears out, so I get more years out of them.

The last line I purchased was a Scientific Anglers WF Sharkskin (three years ago). I wish that line would wear out as I'm not fond of it.

I have three silk fly lines that are over ten years old. Silk lines take a little more work to maintain, but I'm certain these lines will outlive me

My trout line (wf6f) lasts about 250 hours give or take 20%. After that the performance starts to fall off and

I replace it. I fish about 100 days a year (Qct -Feb) so twice a year for me,

Skinny

that is good info, I was also wondering how often to replace a line. Is ther any use for the old line, like for A backing