Fly Tying
Istripbuggers

September flies from the vice

post-33535-0-24581000-1378621430_thumb.jpgNymphs that have worked well on the Derbyshire Derwent this season:

GRHE with and without gold head

Baetis nymphs green and brown

Spiders with heavy hackles

Generic bead heads with flash behind the bead. Love the Troutline hooks!

Enjoy,

Simon

Earlier I've mostly gone for trout with dry-fly, but this year I'm going to head out more to the saltwater around Oslo, so I started working with Zonkers to see how they flow in the water ( here on a Dai-Riki 899 #6 )

post-35895-0-22214600-1378924169_thumb.jpg

post-35895-0-02640300-1378924176_thumb.jpg

post-35895-0-30558400-1378924182_thumb.jpg

Piker20,

Not selling the vise (or vises,) rather. I need them for tying when I need to produce flies more quickly. They are also good places to hold the flies for pictures.

I am a student of history (was my major at one time,) and like to reproduce the OLD flies in the OLD way. Lee Wulff tied his Wulffs "in hand," one of my best friend's father has one in a frame signed by Lee. To be true to his style, I am trying to tie the Wulff flies the same way using as near as I can the same materials. Many of the Wulffs were done with buck tail wings and tail, and the Gray Wulff was tied with Gray Squirrel in the tail and wings.

I find tying in hand a good challenge, that pushes my skills. I think it makes one a better tier to understand just how easy it is to tie these days. Just go to the fly shop and buy your material, hooks and other supplies. Fix the hook in the vise and have at it. Not too many of us actually go out and start rounding up our own materials, and fewer even make their own hooks.

I started bending hooks a year or more ago. I can bend them and shape them, but haven't been as successful at tempering and finishing my hooks. I will continue to work on that project.