Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
georgiaborn

my hand built vice

This is a rotating vice I made using stainless steel and aluminum with brass thumbscrew. Right now a little in the rough stage still got to polish the edges a little and going to add a longer mounting stem.

post-50502-0-32189900-1380320964_thumb.jpeg

Hi georgiaborn,

As others have wrote, Great Job! Does it hold all sizes of hooks really good?

Regards,

Mark

Thought about putting it on a diet it's still a work in progress, just a personal toy at this time for me. No plans to sell they are alot of work makes you appreciate the price of high end vices.

Yes, the vice is very nice and I also hold in high esteem people who can do metalwork like that. I can do some nice things with wood products but never did any metalworking. When you've got the vice layout all figured out and finished, time to take on making your own off the bench fly reel. There's a lot of people out there doing that and I have a couple of examples that are extraordinary reels for fit and finish. Would put the Hardys I have to shame.

I'd also like to thank you for showing what I need to do with my hackle guage. Been trying to figure it out and don't know why attaching it to the vice base never entered my head.

Thanks for compliments much appreciated, if you can do wood work metal work is as easy just more time consuming. I have a very small hobby machine shop this was done with a drill press and a 1952 altas 618 lathe oh and alot of sandpaper. My next project is going to be a large arbor reel for my 3wt but it will have to wait for a milling machine.

Took some advice and it lost some weight, longer stem, centered the vice to stem very little runout true rotory vice. Thanks for the comments it helped with improvements

post-50502-0-09492400-1380582189_thumb.jpeg

Definitely a piece of functional art. Impressive workmanship! Post a pic of your 3 wt large arbor when you get that done too...