Fly Tying
tctrout

October Flies from the Vise

Here's a pattern I want to share with all, especially now that it's steelhead season. This fly, Ian's Brass Ass, was designed around the Great Lakes region and tied specifically for steelhead. It has since caught on with the Czech-style crowd, and has caught many trout and grayling. It's a great pattern to have in your box, between sizes 10 & 20, plus feel free to vary the colors of the wire; hope you enjoy!

Tim

Find that interesting considering all the flies tied with so much movement in them. Is that pattern the original colours or is that your colours?

Steelhead version of the Cheech Leech. Hopefully I did it some justice. Great video tutorial on the Fly Fish Food blog!!

e1a31aa2-8e1f-459e-975e-18d3c27676b2_zps

Come on Ben, when we going to see some of these monsters hanging in a Pike/Musky? I've got 5 months of the frozen north now to look forward to and a bit of fish envy is needed.

Orange Once And Away

One of those: what can I do with these colors that I have on my desk?

dryfly.me_.2013.10.19.once_and_away_oran

Wooly Weenie – Greenie (two-tone)

I hackle most woolies with hen cape inserted into a dubbing loop. Almost indestructible, soft and I like the way it sticks out at all angles. Can usually find the right size on cheap Indian hen capes. It took the best sections of three small feathers to hackle this. You can hackle really heavy if you like. Use lots of sticky wax in the loop to cut down on frustration. Primp hackle after twisting and before winding.

post-34209-0-55447400-1382280326_thumb.jpg

post-34209-0-74351300-1382280385_thumb.jpg

Ha- I'm actually gonna fish this to wild browns today!

DROWNEDBAETISSPINNERGRP-1-_zps0342cabd.j

DROWN BAETIS SPINNER – Rust – Schollmeyer/Variant – TMC 101. #18 – #22…

LilOLIVEBAETISNYMPH-1-_zps937448d1.jpg

LIGHT OLIVE DNA FLEXI BAETIS – Daiichi 1130, #18 – #20…

PT/TB

Steelhead version of the Cheech Leech. Hopefully I did it some justice. Great video tutorial on the Fly Fish Food blog!!

e1a31aa2-8e1f-459e-975e-18d3c27676b2_zps

Awesome variation! I have been working on the Cheech Leech's older brother, and a tutorial will be out in the coming months. Thanks for the props

I've been working pretty hard on the Royal Coachman, focusing on learning to tie quill wings. Also spent some time tying cracklebacks.

post-48654-0-03451400-1382409593_thumb.jpg

post-48654-0-52651200-1382409605_thumb.jpg

DROWNEDBAETISSPINNERGRP-1-_zps0342cabd.j

DROWN BAETIS SPINNER – Rust – Schollmeyer/Variant – TMC 101. #18 – #22…

Those are great! Simple, but very efficient!

Here's a few I've been mucking with.

A couple streamers, a bunch of picket pin wet's, some fontinalis fin's, leadwing coachmans and dark cahill wet's...

post-24830-0-75583300-1382448508_thumb.jpg

Awesome variation! I have been working on the Cheech Leech's older brother, and a tutorial will be out in the coming months. Thanks for the props

Thanks Dude! I was hoping you'd see it!! Ill be looking forward to the tutorial of the cheech leech's bigger brother. Excellent videos and site. Keep em' coming.