Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Goats

Which $150 vise would you buy

I have a $150 budget for a second vise and I have narrowed it down to two. I don't tie much on hook sizes under 8.

Dynaking Kingfisher Vise

or

Peak Full rotary

try tying on both of them to see which one fits best for YOUR tying style and then YOU can make the decision

I got the Peak, and love it.

Have a Dynaking traveller too, and it's great.

Tends to use the Dynaking for larger flies and the peak for the smaller...

Try them out and see, and get the feel on a hook size you use the most.

/Henrik

Both are well made and solid as heck. The Peak is an inline rotary and the Kingfisher is not. So the question is really whether you want the inline rotary feature or not. You say this will be a second vise. What is your first vise?

i would buy the renzetti traveller, sometimes on sale for around that, usually about 40 smackos more. Can't beat it.

I tie on a Peak and I love it. I tie mostly saltwater and the regular jaws really hold well. If you tie really large flies and jigs I hear the magnum jaws are great but so far I haven't needed them. I have to experience with the Dyna-King so I can't compare the two

Flytire is right. The best way to make your decision is to tie on it. You may be surprised what you leave with. Lots of tying shows coming up soon if you don't have shops that carry them. There are lots of good vises in the $150 range. I went shopping around and thought I either wanted the peak or the renzetti traveler, I left with an anvil atlas. Nothing wrong with any of them and it was tough to make up my mind but in the end I liked the anvil the best for me even though 9 out of 10 people told me to get the traveler.

Both are well made and solid as heck. The Peak is an inline rotary and the Kingfisher is not. So the question is really whether you want the inline rotary feature or not. You say this will be a second vise. What is your first vise?

My other vise is my first vise. A $15 hunk a junk that I bought at the Midwestern Fly Fishing Expo 2 years ago. I'm ready for a "real" vise. I'm not sure I can try them out first.

Would have to say Peak, because you get rotary for the same price, and it'll hold hooks just fine. If you were tying mostly saltwater, I'd lean more towards the Dyna-King, but the Kingfisher would not be my first choice (dang base it too small for big flies). YMMV.

My first rotary vise is the Anvil Atlas. I love it! Probably won't ever own a different vise. I've contacted Wolff Industries since they bought the advertising anf manufacturing rights and they assured me that the design has not and will not change. You can buy any replacement parts you need directly from them so your vise will never need to be replaced. This vise is bomb proof! As evidenced by how I treat everything I own, I use my stuff hard! I got it because of the range of hook sizes (32-7/0) that the stock jaws can hold. $125 new on ebay!

I bought the Peak 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. Even if you don't use the full rotary function for wrapping materials, just being able to rotate the fly 360 degrees while keeping the hook shank level is a great benefit. It allows you to view the fly from all angles and it is really helpful when you need to mount materials on the bottom of the shank.

I have never tied on the Kingfisher, so I can't make direct comparisons, but I can state with confidence that I think you won't be disappointed if you go with the Peak.

That being said, I second what flytire said: trying them both out and seeing which you like better is the best way to go, if you can.