Fly Tying
Bruce Derington

December Flies from the vice

Mega tasty Jam, freestyle?

Finally set a wing that I liked...only to have the body sub-par! DOE! Working on another and hopefully it all comes together...one thing is for sure...its maddening but perhaps the most satisfying feeling ever when it sets up right.

post-45233-0-21457700-1386724222_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-75207600-1386724224_thumb.jpg

Yup just something random haha - schweet mallardness rooftastic! ^^

eide,

I posted this tube slider in the fly tying bench under separate topic with a few details and will add to database.

It is tied on an aluminum tube with gel pen grip body and total size is about 4 inches with some tailing a bit longer.

I am going to try soon for copies of the two-three you put up and thanks for inspiration.

This vise works so well, especially with metal tubes and thread torque is not an issue and the tubes never spin. Then has full rotary. This is the most expensive vice I own, the rest are all cheap knock-offs or entry level models I picked up with "big lots" from ebay. Very happy and should have done this years ago. Have not tried the standard jaws that came with it but will convert when I get tired of tubes. Have a large number to try out. So little time, so many objectives........

DSC06967Bst.JPG

hehe that looks funky ^^

Um non salmon and steelhead. Decided i needed a few more carp bugs for when one day it is warm again. Using tungsten eyes and on the creek i fish it is a pretty long cast to get to them, prefer the tungsten as it really sinks and i can 'anchor' the fly keeping tension trying to detect any takes.

up close

image_zpsfc1b4129.jpeg

a pile

PC112786_zpsd58497e5.jpg

another bug i will try

PC112790_zps374be17b.jpg

Maybe a gold charlie or two, something flashy

PC112785_zps6a9bde9c.jpg

Then something for salmonids...saw this pattern in a book and have no idea how to say this "FRAFJORDSELVA" it looks like something the swedish chef would say?

PC112788_zps6400b03b.jpg

That's very like a bulkier medicine fly, ideal for sea run fish. Like the slim profile of the top one most.

ffJam,

Those are all some incredible examples of fish catchers and fisherman catchers.

I want to copy all of them for my 2014 fly boxes.

Any chance you would be willing to step-by-step those carp models. I need every advantage I can get on the local carp pods, they kick my a55 about every time out (except twice when 15 pounders towed my kayak, actually worked better than the drag on my cheap reel) and are very discriminating eaters. Current score is Carp 365-Kenduardo 2, but now I am hooked on chasing them. So help me out if you have the time tp post again or PM me.

Jam!?!?! You can tie carp bugs?? haha looking good. And bassmouth! Looks good. From learning to tie them I know exactly how frustrating they can be. Here's a variety of flies. Need to work on better thread control and keep the head size down! Ill get there..

SAM_1953_zpsce12f310.jpg

SAM_1947_zpsb7142625.jpg

SAM_1955_zps477caf15.jpg

SAM_1961_zps8187d20e.jpg

ffJam,

Those are all some incredible examples of fish catchers and fisherman catchers.

I want to copy all of them for my 2014 fly boxes.

Any chance you would be willing to step-by-step those carp models. I need every advantage I can get on the local carp pods, they kick my a55 about every time out (except twice when 15 pounders towed my kayak, actually worked better than the drag on my cheap reel) and are very discriminating eaters. Current score is Carp 365-Kenduardo 2, but now I am hooked on chasing them. So help me out if you have the time tp post again or PM me.

Might work, these are pretty local offerings, seen things for different water

Tiemco 811s size 6 or 8

Fine mono thread

Tungsten hourglass eye black gunmetal, x small, 3.0mm x 5.0mm

Tail - rubber legs

Body - canadian olive arizona simi seal dubbing

Hackle - english grouse

Sides - rubber legs

Wing (optional) tan craft fur or bronze ep fiber

Number 2.

Tiemco 811s size 6 or 8

Fine mono thread

Tungsten hourglass eye black gunmetal, x small, 3.0mm x 5.0mm

Tail - olive uv marabou

Body - canadian olive simi seal

Hackle - english grouse

Eye - gold stick on eye

Should find plenty more on this forum! We have gobies here and have caught my biggest carp on them in the st. Lawrence. Posted this before tho.

image_zpsd18cbcba.jpg

Ah Chefben, someone is thinking steelhead! I better try those musky flies one day soon.

eide,

I posted this tube slider in the fly tying bench under separate topic with a few details and will add to database.

It is tied on an aluminum tube with gel pen grip body and total size is about 4 inches with some tailing a bit longer.

I am going to try soon for copies of the two-three you put up and thanks for inspiration.

This vise works so well, especially with metal tubes and thread torque is not an issue and the tubes never spin. Then has full rotary. This is the most expensive vice I own, the rest are all cheap knock-offs or entry level models I picked up with "big lots" from ebay. Very happy and should have done this years ago. Have not tried the standard jaws that came with it but will convert when I get tired of tubes. Have a large number to try out. So little time, so many objectives........

That is one big pink tube!

What vice are you talking about?