Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
1hook

Thread bodies?

Is it ok to use only thread for bodies on small flies/ wets? Uni lays flat and forms a smooth body but not sure if its durable enough to last more than a fish or two...would coating it with Sally Hanson work?

I have tied and used thread body midges for many years. Yes a coating of SHHAN (or other nail polish,) will improve durability.

For hooks larger than 16, I switch to using Bulky Nylon from Gutterman. You can get this thread (its like uni stretch,) from Joann's Fabric. It comes in dozens of colors, or you can use a marker to color it. Makes great soft hackle bodies. I used it as the tying thread and the body.

I use it too, round threads can give that segmentation look. I would lightly coat the hook shank with sally before winding over it as coating the thread after will often darken it more.

One can do a lot with thread. All these use thread for the bodies, some use thread for legs, and the mayfly nymph is nothing but thread and nail polish.

post-12074-0-48669700-1387319492_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-74374600-1387319523_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-41448700-1387319558_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-82225600-1387319714_thumb.jpg

Great looking flies, Utyer. I would love to see a step-by-step on those. smile.png

One can do a lot with thread. All these use thread for the bodies, some use thread for legs, and the mayfly nymph is nothing but thread and nail polish.

Nice!

Is it ok to use only thread for bodies on small flies/ wets? Uni lays flat and forms a smooth body but not sure if its durable enough to last more than a fish or two...would coating it with Sally Hanson work?

Sure, I use thread for the body on small midges and some wet flies. I don't coat them with anything. Tie up extra, and if they shred after a couple of fish, take them back home, strip off the thread, and tie another fly on the same hook.

"Buzzers" are tied with a thread body and a rib. They are a British pattern, don't know how they work in the US. Thread body, rib of wire, and athread thorax.

I use thread bodies a good bit, just make sure u have plenty of hackle and it will work. Reinforcing its with SH is a must.....just don't add too much.

I hope so as I do on the majority of small flies I use! I've never found the need to coat it with anything. The use of thread bodies (silk) goes back at least 400 years, no SHHAN then! They did use wax on the thread for two reasons, to stop the silk rotting and help grip the snelled horse hair (nothing to do with dubbing!!!)

Cheers,

C.