Fly Tying
vicrider

CDC Swap

Sully, yours showed up today. I'm assuming this is the second set and thanx for extras. Too bad you lost a set in process but I'll keep an eye out for them. If they pop up before I send out the returns I'll definitely include them.

Nick...With the USPS you never know. This is not the first time this has happened. All good though...glad they are in OK.

Some great flies in the mail today. jburge ties with great quality and Fletchfishes again treats us to a pair of little ties. And Fletch, your bonus #30 fell off the the toe tag but I managed to find it before I blew it out thinking it was dust. Thanx for all the guys who toss in an extra or two. Swapmeister can be a little bit of a pain at times but it's fun all the same and the extras now and then help make it more worthwhile. Never a necessity since we volunteer for this but always a nice treat.

Fletch, I put your fly on the magnet plate with some of my 30s and 32s and it blends right in. I've got a big magnifier and Spiderweb that I tie some like that with but if the time I use them ever arrives it will only be because some eagle eyed guide puts them on the hook for me. Hard to believe a guy coming out of a bass and walleye fishing tournament mentality can now look at a size 14 hook as large and an 18 as the standard size overall. Fortunately we still get to throw streamers and buggers at times which let us know there are still flies out there that can be seen with the naked eye.

It is crazy how small we're willing to go. It is probably a warning sign when the hook gape is too small to stay on the toe tag - how the heck are we supposed to seat the hook in a jaw? I'm always amazed when I land one of a decent size on those 30s.

Couldn't agree more, there's nothing like tying on a sculpin or bugger on 3x after dusk when you've been fishing #30 emerges on 8x for a couple of hours!

And Nate Dubay has again blessed us with an unusual but very nice tie. Getting pretty close and will be ready to sort and pack soon. Need to put Nate's in box and just make sure of what I have and what's missing and make sure first page is up to date.

Sorry for the delay. The original pattern I tied is pretty sparse, so I tied up a set of CDC and partridge soft hackles to accompany them. They were handed over to the USPS today. Thanks for hosting.

great David. Seems like they're going to be quite a few extras in this swap and our CDC supplies will be well served this year. I think emergers have been a traditional stronghold of CDC but is interesting to see some of the variety.

Okay guys, they're all in. Went to PO today since it finally got above the freezing mark. I moved to OK from MN so I didn't have to fight cold and snow all winter. Well, I don't have to fight cold and snow all winter but this has been a stretch of snow and cold that is unusual for here, and there's another wave of it coming. The whole Midwest and East Coast has been clobbered this winter so I can't complain too much.

Blane and David HE flies are here and they are nice as expected. Mybadhabit with a nice beadhead CDC nymph and David with both a nice CDC emerger and a really nice soft hackle bonus. I will get them sorted and heading Monday for sure.

I was trying to come up with a good nymph pattern to add as well. In my mind I wanted to have the CDC keep an air bubble around the thorax on the fly. What kept happening in the water glass tests was the tungsten bead would pull it down and the bubble would promptly squeeze out from the CDC, rendering it practically to marabou. Some designs held it better than others, but none worked as well as I wanted. Anyone have any suggestions?

And Nate Dubay has again blessed us with an unusual but very nice tie.

As for this, it's really easy to make, it's basically a long CDC feather furled back on itself for the abdomen with CDC feathers tied in loop wing style. Easy to tie, looks damn good on the water film, and floats for days. Everything I want in a fly. Suprised it's not already a sort of "standard" pattern.

Okay guys, I got the returns out in the PO today. All I can say is that this is one of the nicest collections of flies for a swap that I've worked with. CDC is a great material for tying and you guys made a lot of good combos with it, some I'd not have thought of but look great. And the extras were way more than generous and tho never expected are always appreciated. I Will say that these flies are pretty much dedicated toward the trout family but I'm sure 'gills, grayling, whitefish, and others will love them, but definitely trout oriented selection.

So they're on their way there as of this morning.

I have already set up my lawn chair (the one with the drink holder) by the mailbox. That's saying quite a bit cuz it's -5F here this morning.

Thanks for hosting this one. I'm anxious to see the patterns everyone came up with. CDC hasn't really caught on as it has in Europe, but I think it's gaining here.

CC, on another board CDC has been talked of to great lengths. The only universal complaint is that it gets waterlogged and needs to be squished and dried periodically, at least more often than stiffer hackle. It was interesting that some of the duck hunters got CDC right from the source and without dying or washing it seems to really hold up much better but most of us don't have that option for our CDC. It really seems to shine in emerger patterns where it works in the film or just under it and often helps hold a small air bubble, especially in the loop wing versions. I recently tied some soft hackles with a nice hump of herl behind the CDC used for the hackle. The Pettijean hackle I have recently gotten has long stems and feathers and made a good soft hackle fly. Hope it works as well in water as it looks on the bench.

Got mine in the mail today, great looking flies!!! I hope to be able to use them this summer in either AR or OK on the trout.

Thanks for hosting vicrider, it was a great swap.

Blane