Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SilverCreek

Video History of the Adams Dry Fly

A wonderful set of videos. Important not only for the story, but the fly, and the way it was first tied. Not many of us tie it the "right" way any longer. Its interesting to note that the pattern was tied with a thin wing of rooster hackle, and that these days we are looking for wider wing feathers to "enhance" the wing.

Tied by Len Halliday with his Original Vise

LenHallidayOriginalAdams_zps69c7d192.png

ain't it strange how most "good" tyers today would probably tell each other that this fly leaves a lot to be desired...... unless they knew exactly what it was.

That was interesting! I had never read about the Adams and had always assumed it was one of the old Catskill classics. Now I know the real story! Thanks for sharing.

Tight lines,

Bob

That's very cool and the coolest part is I fish the boardmen river everyday when I get out of work I work 5 blocks from it and the shop is 45 yards from boardmen lake very cool to find something out like this about where I live.

What a silly looking fly, it won't catch any fish!

LOL Yeah, it's a fad. It'll never last !!!

Stilljerkin, if you're in the vicinity of the Boardman, you are very close to Mayfield Pond, the body of water on which Halladay first tested the Adams. There's a little stone marker there commemorating the invention of the fly. It's a neat place to visit.

Stilljerkin, if you're in the vicinity of the Boardman, you are very close to Mayfield Pond, the body of water on which Halladay first tested the Adams. There's a little stone marker there commemorating the invention of the fly. It's a neat place to visit.

I live out buy thompsonville closer to the bestie river I just work 5 blocks from the boardmen but yeah I will have to look at that some day. Pretty cool