Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BlueEyedSon

Dry Fly Hackle

I'm new to fly tying and looking to purchase some dry fly hackle that would get me started on some classic patterns. I'm specifically interested in learning to tie the Elk Hair Caddis and Adams to start. I'm familiar with the basic distinctions associated with hackle (e.g., neck/cape, saddle) and it has seemed to me like Whiting's Introductory Hackle Pack that includes four 1/2 capes or necks would be a great place to start. I'd all but decided that I wanted to go with the four half capes, if I can find it, when I went to a local fly shop looking for it. They didn't have it and said I shouldn't bother anyways. Instead, they recommended getting the Whiting 100s in the colors and sizes I want. This confused me as it seems like it would be a much more expensive way to start as those are only one size/color per pack and thought I'd inquire for some feedback.

If I'm wanting to be able to tie a variety of sizes (say at least in the 12-18, with some bigger and smaller), I should go with a neck/cape, right? Any thoughts on the suggestion to go for the Whiting 100 packs versus their intro hackle pack for someone who has no dry fly hackle?

Thanks, in advance, for the feedback.

If your looking for a full range of sizes, the necks in the Introductory packs will give you that. Necks will have the full range of sizes from bigger than you need for most dry flies, to as small as you want to tie.

A 100 pack will give you enough saddle hackle of a given size or maybe two sizes to tie about 100 flies. I have saddles that I can tie as many as 10 Griffith Gnats from the same feather. For the $20 bucks you would need 4 to match the colors in the intro pack, and then you would only have one or maybe two sizes. To get 12-14, and 16-18, you would need to get 8 100 packs. at $20.00 or $160. Most of my saddles have 2 to 3 sizes on each cape, and a few may even give me 4 or 5. I don't order saddles on-line, I always inspect the cape first. Since I have more than 3 dozen, I can wait until I get to the shop.

The Introductory Neck deal is the better value: 4 colors, in a full range of sizes. You will find that neck hackle is MUCH shorter than saddle hackle, any will only have enough usable hackle on each feather for 1 or maybe 2 flies. But you should get at least 40 feathers of EACH size in each color.

The very big hackles on the bottom of a neck are great tailing, and are often used as streamer wings. or hackle on popping bugs. The Barr's Emerger uses these hackles for the tails, wing case, and legs. You can tie about 6 or 10 Barr's Emergers from just one of these large feathers. Since your cutting the hackle to length after you tie them, sizes doesn't make much difference.

If you had to pick 4 color to start out with. What would they be? Also which one would you buy, saddle or neck hackle?

If I were you I wouldn't rule out the intro pack from whiting

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/whiting-farms-introductory-hackle-pack

100 packs are OK if youre tying100 size 12, 14, 16 etc flies

the intro pack will give you a greater variety of sizes to tie as using the larger feathers for other types of flies or tails or legs etc

About 6 months ago I got a Whiting's variety pack from Cabelas for $20. I tie for panfish, and these capes are plenty good for me. I got literally dozens in all colors. Enough to last me a lifetime. Don't know what tyers who tie for trout would think of them.

If you had to pick 4 color to start out with. What would they be? Also which one would you buy, saddle or neck hackle?

The top 3 would be grizzly, brown, and medium/light dun. The 4th color is up for grabs and could be a ginger, or black, or olive depending on whether you tie sulphurs, or black ants, etc. I would buy both ginger and black.

If I were starting out and knew for sure that I was going to tie forever, I would buy the prograde saddles in the sizes that I would tie most, for example size 14/16 grizzly and brown for 14/16 sized adams. But you would need a person that knows hackle to pick the saddles out. I find amazing "bargains" by going through all the pro grade saddles in every shop I visit.

BTW, you do not need to put the hackles on an elk hair caddis unless you want ti to be a rough water fly. They work just fine without the hackle and you save a step and some money.

Thanks all for the feedback. I was having a hard time figuring how the math would make the 100s packs a better value, even if the longer feathers might be easier to work with. I think I'll stick to the original plan regarding the four half capes as the versatility of being able to tie a greater variety of sizes seems appealing to me at this point with no dry fly hackle.

Now I just have to figure out the colors I'd like and someone who has it available. My thinking was exactly what SilverCreek mentioned for the first three: grizzly, brown, and a medium dun. I just have to figure out whether black or a lighter color (e.g., cream or ginger) would be more versatile.

As for colors, a Grizzly, Brown, Medium Dun (gray,) and a Ginger (lighter than the brown,) would be a good place to start. You can always use a marker to darken the brown for a black hackle. Ants will work fine with a Grizzly or Brown hackle.

Thanks, again! The suggestion of ginger for the fourth seems like it'd be good. I'd hesitated about not getting black as I was interested in tying some ants. But the substitute suggestion makes good sense. I've started checking around and it seems like I can find the first three (grizzly, brown, and med. dun) okay. But the fourth is cream/off-white or black. I'll have to see what else I can find ...

Thanks, again!

Feather emporium has 100packs in multiple sizes, or in multiple colors. They also have 25 packs for I think 5bucks. All the hackle is whiting.

You've made a good choice on the Whiting Intro Pack. I'm with utyer on the light ginger or a cream. You'll need it for the "Sulfurs" on the East Coast.

+1 for feather emporium, I've found they to be great to work with and they have a good selection. In some ways 100 packs are not better deals, but I think it can be worth it if you just use the color for small flies in a limited size range. You mentioned tying black ants, so it could be worth picking up a 100 pack, I have a black 100 pack for tying some midge patterns and a dun pack for tying BWOs smaller than 20.