Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
barrytheguide

Blackbird wings

Check your local regulations. Since crows are considered a migratory bird, there may be open and closed seasons in your area. (It's unlikely, but still, better checked and not needed than busted for shooting one during a closed season.)

Yeah, the animal rights people snuck that one into a treaty with Canada a few years ago. Crows are now protected by the fed, and the states have to set a season, if hunting is to be allowed at all. Here in NC, crow season is closed for only 1 day a year, but you do have to have a hunting license to shoot them (never used to have a license.)

...Like, Canada really cares if we shoot a few crows in NC....

Coot is a migratory waterfowl that is allowed to be shot in most states during appropriate season Flytire. Makes great soft hackle flies. Is a great medium dun color. I have one and use it in wets a lot.

In South Carolina I can hunt the following: "Migratory birds include: mourning dove, marsh hens, rails, woodcock, common snipe, common moorhens, purple gallinules, ducks, mergansers, sea ducks, coots, blue & snow geese, brant, Canada geese and crows." (from SCDNR website)

You cannot sell them, but it is legal to gift one. Migratory birds can be used for fly tying legally and can be gifted as long as there is no expectation to receive any thing of value in return. Must include name and license info attached to skin and statement of gifting.

CRACKAIG if brown fine textured wings is your goal, look at bobwhite quail, red phase ruffed grouse or woodcock.

Posted Today, 08:54 AM

mikechell, on 03 Aug 2014 - 10:51 PM, said:

Check your local regulations. Since crows are considered a migratory bird, there may be open and closed seasons in your area. (It's unlikely, but still, better checked and not needed than busted for shooting one during a closed season.)

Yeah, the animal rights people snuck that one into a treaty with Canada a few years ago. Crows are now protected by the fed, and the states have to set a season, if hunting is to be allowed at all. Here in NC, crow season is closed for only 1 day a year, but you do have to have a hunting license to shoot them (never used to have a license.)

...Like, Canada really cares if we shoot a few crows in NC....

phg

In 1972 United States wanted to amend the treaty to protect various hawks and owls. Mexico wanted a member of the Corvidae family protected. When they wrote the treaty they included the entire family rather than species and crows became regulated.

http://www.crowbusters.com/begart5.htm

Troutguy, Of the three you mention only one is available to me, woodcock. The primary and secondary feathers just do not hold together well enough to make wings from. (It's not my goal but what's required for Greenwell's, I've still got some of the original, not much but some). It may be possible to die up starling secondary feathers to match, but dying is not my thing. I can provide a colour sample to match to if anyone is interested in trying.

Cheers,

C.

I just took a look and you might try French Partridge wings. They are a little lighter than hen Blackbird on the topside, but very close underneath. If they come in a small range of color, darker would probably be a little better. I have just one pair from Cookshill's. They used to sell Mavis Thrush wings for light Greenwell's wings back in the 50's and they match them in color very well on both sides. Another one that came close was Starling dyed Landrail by Veniards, but I don't think they sell them any longer. They were very close on the underside, but a little dark on top. Bleached Starling would work, but it's lighter on both sides and would be my last choice of the three color wise.

Regards,

Mark

I have just driven 1300 miles from Redding to San Diego and back. I was hoping to spot a road kill blackbird on the way. In fact I hardly saw a live one. If you see one maybe you could pm me and send the wings to me so I could hand it over to Game and Fish!

Barry no doubt some of the feathers may accidentally fall out on the way. ;)

Cheers,

C.

I am no tree hugger nor am I a hunter mostly because I just don't enjoy it. In some parts of the country crows became very rare because of the small bore center fire hunters. They liked to see the feather fly when the crow exploded when a bullet hit them at 4000 fps. I know, a slight exaggeration. Yes, it is illegal to kill crows. If you have paid any attention you will notice that crows are very man shy and for good reason. Crows are smart and they learned that man was not a friend. I'd like to have a crow skin too. Just don't get caught with it and no I don't have one either.

ditz2, I see from your profile, you live in TN. There is a hunting season for crows. I think from June to February. You can hunt them only on Friday, Saturdays and Sunday. Possession of the feathers should be no problem.

Yes, it is illegal to kill crows.

Not quite. Federal regulations allow them to be hunted, but each state has its own rules. In some (probably most) states, they have a regular season and can be hunted by anyone with a hunting license; in other states (e.g. California), only the landowner or tenant can kill them.

I hunt crows, have a few wings now. I like using my chickens most days instead. find a farm and ask for feathers, lots on the ground for free. some diverse colors for sure. I even came close to breeding a partridge color before I was wiped out by dogs.

Husky's have a nice tying fur...tongue.pngrolleyes.gif

In the last 12 years or so, American Crow populations have been decimated by West Nile Virus. Fish Crows populations do not seem to be as adversely effected..

The range of the American Crow covers most of the U,S., while the Fish Crow is found more in the south eastern sections of the country.

If you're gunna' take a crow for feathers, make it a fish crow...

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Crow/id

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Fish_Crow/id