Fly Tying
Bazzer69

My dressing of the original Adam's

Since there's been a side bar on this thread, I am going to chime in on it.

Calling someone "Grammar Police" because they know the proper way to write ... is similar to berating someone because they can actually make change. It's an ignorant response to intelligence. (Ignorance is not stupidity ... it's lack of knowledge)

I am no English major. I do make mistakes on occasion, but I do try not to. I also do not take offense if someone points out a mistake.

I do not have a text account because I can't stand to see all the "abbreviations" because people are too lazy to type out words.

I have to read E-mail, but rarely enjoy it because people don't know how to punctuate, capitalize or even compose a sentence correctly.

Thank you, to all grammar police, for trying to slow down the "dumbing down" of our Country.

Some of it springs from a sort of anti-mentality associated with titles of movies (purposely misspelled), and shortcut tweeting. And I agree with Joel... most people posting have at least a fifth grade schooling (notice I avoid using the word "education"), and must of necessity have been taught proper use of apostrophes. It just isn't important to them anymore, since they don't have to worry about passing a test. What they should by now have learned to worry about is what others' opinion of them.

... and Joel, one of my LITTLE gripes is the fact that jillions of people in other countries speak and write better English that many Americans, who have never learned any other language and are barely comprehensible in their own.

Oh, crap! delete the superfluous "what". I changed my train of thought in mid-sentence.

I might remind members that this is a Fly Tying form and not an English language Forum. You have taken this way off-topic, if you really want to discuss grammar start another thread please.

All you achieve is discouraging the none native English Language members from posting to this forum whom I welcome.

Bazzer

I might remind members that this is a Fly Tying form and not an English language Forum. You have taken this way off-topic, if you really want to discuss grammar start another thread please.

All you achieve is discouraging the none native English Language members from posting to this forum whom I welcome.

Bazzer

Bazzer's*

I am in agreement here. This is a fly tying site and we have a wide variety of people on this site who shouldn't fear having someone point out every grammatical flaw if they post something. Comment on the fly and if there is something about a particular member that annoys you then you can block them.

Though I have not researched into the original Adams very much, I do recall reading somewhere that the original was intended to represent a caddis. I can not attest to the correctness of this statement, nor can I recall where I read it. It strikes me though that I am in the habit of varying flies to suit differing situations, could it be that Mr Halliday did the same, tying some with the wings forward for one situation and back for others?

Something struck me as strange about the title of this thread, but, until now, I couldn't put my finger on it. Then it hit me, "My dressing of the..." It is very unusual to see that term these days. When I first learned this craft the term "dressing" was always used. I picked it up along with the rest of the vocabulary, using it all the time. When I eventually got on line, I was ridiculed and even vilified for using the term "dressing". It was a sort of inverse snobbery. Like so many others, I came to use "tie" and "tying", but if what we do, and discuss here, is fly tying, then what is the word for the conglomeration of materials on a hook that forms a fly? If that word is "dressing" then we must "dress the hook" not tie the fly?

Cheers,

C.

the debate regarding the apostrophe was more or less closed by smallihunter (owner of the website) so I'm wondering how long it will take to debate the difference between "Tying" or "Dressing" a fly gets closed also

that subject matter should be started in a new thread

we "Tie" flies here in the USA and you "Dress" flies in the UK

in the end, does it really matter!

a quote from barrytheguide

"I might remind members that this is a Fly Tying form and not an English language Forum. You have taken this way off-topic, if you really want to discuss grammar start another thread please."

Crackaig,

Here in Michigan where the Adams was first developed, mayflies are (were) often referred to as caddis. ie the "Michigan caddis" hatch here is the jumbo sized Hexagenia Limbata mayfly. It is confusing to be sure but there it is. As if insect names weren't confusing enough...

So the Adams was actually meant to imitate a mayfly in reality and not what we think of, (rightfully so) as a caddis. There is some debate on this but that is what I have read and seems the most probable explanation.