Fly Tying
Fisherboy0301

Novembers WORST flies from the bench!!!

I meant to add, that most anything I tie, even if I'm proud of the result, I wouldn't want to post given the absolute beauty and perfection of lots of flies others post daily. For example, I finished a streamer yesterday with epoxy covering the head, and when I looked at it through a magnifying glass, I discovered some bits of fur inside the epoxy. In a closeup photo it would be clearly visible and embarrassing. I wouldn't be too embarrassed to use it on the fish though.

Don't be embarrassed to post it here! That's the point of this thread! To post a dly you wouldn't post compared to others! no reason to be embarrassed in this thread!

There are, at least to my mind, two distinct kinds of fly tier. There are those who tie by rhythm, and those that tie deliberately. I'm not saying either is better or worse, they are just distinct styles of tying. At one end of this spectrum, from what I have read, I would put AK Best. He ties at prodigious speed relying on muscle memory to maintain the speed. He will tie flies that he then rejects. Especially at the beginning of a session. At the other end of this spectrum I would put Hans Weilenmann. Every turn of thread is deliberately placed. I fall, distinctly, into the deliberate category. If I do something wrong as I am tying I will undo it and try again until I get it right.

I have no pictures of flies that went wrong in the tying. If I couldn't undo a few turns of thread and put it right (Yes you can undo turns of thread!!! there is no law against it) they would be started afresh.

What I do have are experiments that haven't produced results I am happy with. Here are a few.

post-43582-0-18648100-1417159536_thumb.jpgpost-43582-0-26828800-1417159809_thumb.jpgpost-43582-0-35056700-1417159824_thumb.jpgpost-43582-0-35755800-1417160061_thumb.jpg

All of these are lying around in a plastic tub somewhere around here. If I get stuck for an odd particular hook they will get scraped and the hook re used. There are a lot more, but these are the ones I could put my hands on photos of.

Cheers,

C.

All though I dont have access to any of my old pics right now. Liptop went to see its maker. I can see how a thread like this could help someone in the end. Seeing that there not the only one as stated. Someone might have an answer to help them. It might be a technique problem. Or simply the wrong material. Good shot at this post.

Kevin

my worst flies are in a tree somewhere on the south platte river in colorado and were placed there by some of the most erratic casting by a newbie to fly fishing.

sorry but i'm not going back to find them! :)

This was off the vice last week. Looks okay in hand but the front body too slim and wing not right. I'll still get it wet cause you never know but its not being seen by anyone in public.

post-42518-0-80057400-1417190107_thumb.jpg

It's funny I've been killing some time tonight and reorganizing some fly boxes... In doing so I have come across some of the flies I tied from when I first started tying. They are pretty bad and what's even better is those were the ones that made the cut to get into the fly box.... Haha for every one that made it in there were probably 3 that got bladed!

I put my boxes out start of the year and end of the year and it doesn't matter, there is always flies that were ok starting out that fail the cut season end. I've found that I also have fewer and fewer non recognised patterns in my trout boxes. The classics stick around cause they work and 99% of the time I'm sticking to filling boxes with these.

I have to agree with Eastern fly, this is a great thread for anyone. I am still embarassed by some of the flies that come off my vise, but now I can share and laugh with everyone about my mishaps or just not "right" attempts at new or old patterns or techniques. Thanks for the great thread.

I have actually caught fish on some of these ......... so sad really.

I guess fish aren't judgemental.

post-37956-0-28507800-1417509413_thumb.jpg

I still have my first fly tied...although it started to unravel a little. I'll have to try and photograph it when I get home.. Im still learning, but looking back it's hard to imagine messing up a Black Beauty hahaha

Mike ...The red fly body was made from krystal flash sandwiched between double sided scotch tape coated with sallys' hard as nails

The tape is quite thick and a PIA to work with lol.

Also used UV on the head