Fly Tying
WallyWabash03

Right number of flies for a trip

Wondering your thoughts on the right number of flies to take on a trip. I've heard it suggested that you take four of each size and each pattern for each day. So if you were trying scuds in green and orange, sizes 10 and 12, you would want 16 flies (4 green 10, 4 green 12, 4 orange 10, 4 orange 12), for each day. As you can guess, with a recommended list of 5-6 flies, each in a few sizes, each in a few variations, for a five day trip, I'm trying to determine whether I really have ~450 flies in front of my in the next few weeks. Yes, I could buy them or rely on the guide, but who on this forum would do that? :) thanks.

I would certainly end up buying flies if mine weren't producing (and for future samples). been there done that

I have also never heard of having x number of flies for x number of days but I guess you could do that

after 35 years fly fishing and tying, my boxes are pretty much filled. I also do research for the area I'm traveling to and going to be fishing for hatch charts, fly shops, fishing reports etc and then tie accordingly

LOL. I take all of mine. But after a day or two of honing in on the ones that are producing, then I cut it down to carrying only the ones that work. The hatches will help dictate that. I do that with pretty much with every species of fish I am going after. Standing room only in my boat. LOL..... Hey I'd rather have a bunch of flies and or lures that don't work , then not have the ONE that does. When I go fishing, I BRING THE KITCHEN SINK JACK!!! But seriously a GOOD local fly shop (If the owner isn't a jerk) will tell you the patterns that are working

in his area. As to how many...depends on how many trees are in my back cast. Seriously!! Am I right guys!!

Wally,

If you're going for a five day trip, you might want to take your vise, and some generic materials.

If you use a guide, they supply the flies (and you might or might not be charged for those used).

If I buy a local pattern, I usually buy three. I assume two for use and a third for tying reference for future use.

You should be able to narrow down the number of different patterns by researching the water you intend to fish via the Internet or the closest fly shop or local fly fishing club, if any.

We are using a guide and he provided the list of things to tie. Of course, he will probably bring more flies and we will see what is hitting. Huge chance I tie hundreds and end up using few to none but, being new to this, they are all genetic enough to be used most anywhere.

i very rarely get to fish any waters in this country other than my own but when i do, i bring generic flies. also, i tend to bring the smaller sizes (14-20) instead of the larger. it's in my mind that if a fish is hitting a size 10, it will most likely hit a size 12.

of course, most of my fishing is for 9" brookies so a size 16 is just about perfect.

the more you research the area you're going to, the less flies and sizes you'll have to bring, imo.

Three days in Bozeman (Yellowstone, Gallatin, spring creeks) and two on the Missouri. The guide I'm using gave me a list of stuff he likes on those waters at that time of year, so I'm comfortable with the selection -- Caddis pupa (browns and greens), scuds (greens oranges and greys), pat's rubber legs, zebra midges (red and blacks), etc.

I travel all over the Country for my job. I only have a small amount of space to take fishing stuff with me.

I take 6 to 12 each of:

top water poppers

panfish sized slow sinking flies

Gold Butt Brassies in two different collar colors.

I also throw a few of any other pattern I might have at the time ... but I only have one Plano 2" x 4" x 6" box with me.

One of my first trips when I get to my destination, is to the "local-est" fly shop I can find. I'll buy a few of the suggested flies, but again, they have to fit in my box.

Don't know how anyone can give good advice unless they know when you will be fishing those areas.

Some are heavily hatch dependent, and that varies with dates and weather conditions.

I pretty much take everything like Silkdh said. However they don't all make it to the river. Some days I want to fish soft hackles and/or nymphs. Some days I want to fish streamers. It's based on prior info or time of year or hatch charts or the River itself. If I don't have any luck with the flies I have chosen, I just go back to the car and swap out for a box of a different type of flies.

My flies are divided up by type, one box for mayflies, one for caddisflies (with a few stonefly patterns just for kicks), one for nymphs/soft hackles, and one for streamers. If there's not a fly in those boxes that works, I go home. If I run out of a pattern I will probably have something else that will work.

The correct number to take is exactly one more than you are going to lose during the trip. Obviously.