Fly Tying
Crackaig

February Flies from the Vice

Yes Mike I've seen your crab before. Remember though I'm a Brit, to be really offensive you would have to tie it differently. ;)

Cheers,

C.

So, to recap the weekend:

I tie some frogs.

I tied some Fluff Minnows ... in green:

And white:

I played with some size 14 hooks and feather fluff as hackle to make scud like things.

Some size 8 nymphs:

Something on a jig hook with Dragon Dubbing and craft fur:

And, of course, the Finger Crab.

Not the greatest pic, I used my little compact camera because I was in a rush. Size 10 deer hair bug for ultralight bluegill/bass. I did a couple in yellow/black, need to do a few other colors and I'll be ready for slinging deer hair bugs on my 1wt.

P2060454_zpssjt1kic0.jpg

Superb packing. How many hooks did you bend before you got the pressure just right?

That is a great looking bug.

Superb packing. How many hooks did you bend before you got the pressure just right?

That is a great looking bug.

None, actually. I was pretty careful with these. If you hold up on the hook eye as you flare the hair it helps protect the hook a little more, and I only used one clump of hair each side so I didn't have a tough packing job. It was tougher to keep the hair back off the hook eye, but I made it work.

Nice Goddard Caddis Flytyer.

I have just realised I trim the rear part of the wing in the wrong direction..... DOH!

Cheers

VB1971

I went back and looked at yours. There's nothing wrong with the way you clipped the back end. I've seen them done both ways. They will still catch fish trimmed either way.

Thank Eide, it'll be interesting to see if I can catch on it.

Something I really want to do this coming season is fish north country spiders. Armed with a selection of Partridge spider hooks and Pearsall's/Langley's silk threads I have tied a few that I have materials for. I know I have probably tied these a little long in the body, but it's really down to personal taste.

Waterhen Bloa

16489357841_c81edaf428_k.jpg

Pearly-butt Waterhen Bloa - I have used the upper coverts for this fly to give it a darker appearance.

15870949053_f66647d17a_k.jpg

Partridge and Orange

16303649680_4f01efa3ff_k.jpg

Dark Watchet - I really like this one

16303386758_5debcd65b5_k.jpg

Stewart's Black Spider

16305149157_6d3c2d432c_k.jpg

These are some flies I just finished up for a Casting for Recovery Swap. Did two set of 15 and kept me busy for a couple of days, along with a bunch of small streamers I also tied to go with these.

DSC00959_zpsxsflci9q.jpg[/url]

DSC00960.JPG

DSC00959.JPG

Superbly tied spiders. Those are really good. I do wonder what Partridge were thinking of with those hooks though. If you look at the illustrations in the old books the hooks were much longer in the shank. If you tied the bodies that length on hooks of similar proportion you would have the short bodies you mention. I don't understand why they made a short shank hook for flies that were traditionally tied on long shank (by today's standards) hooks.

Cheers,

C.

Very delicate looking spiders, Sculpin. Just the thing to fool a fish into thinking it's an easy meal.

Love the wings, Vic. Thanks for helping the CfR people.