Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Stilljerkin

Crayfish

So this is a patern I came up with I'm sure there is many like it but what do you guys think about it like or not like it?

post-52810-0-48679200-1435224203_thumb.jpg

post-52810-0-87112800-1435224260_thumb.jpg

post-52810-0-28199400-1435224274_thumb.jpg

That's a nice pattern. A suggestion would be to turn the hook so that the point is UP. A crayfish when alarmed will move backwards along the bottom, so you want the hook to go INTO the fish's mouth. Also, most patterns that I've seen have a weight of some sort at the hook eye to get it down quickly. Some have used wire wraps along the shank, and others have used dumbbell "eyes" for weight.

Bill

Nice looking crawdad.

I see so many crayfish patterns ties with out any snag guard. If this get to the bottom, and rides hook point down, it's bound to grab a rock, branch or weed that might cause you to lose it.

I recommend tying in a weed guard of some type.

That's great. Imitative fly fishing in practice - see the fish eating something, tie something to match it. Nothing to add to the advice. One tip though, Fury Foam look on ebay for "Beading Mats". Same thing but you get 4 or 6 times as much for less money. If friends also want some get each to by one colour and swap bits.

Cheers,

C.

I tied a few hook up hook down weight at the eye this one I actually tied for perch on a perch rig so was not fly fishing an I got some nice perch on ot this evening.

I like the look of it.. but....

In my mind I think.... crayfish swim 'backwards'... the tail is the direction that the crayfish goes.. yes? I don't know but..... I think that prey-fish would attack the crayfish ... from the tail?!?!?!? Is this true or not? I have always wanted to see or design a tie that the hook end would be at the tail..... but yet I see most of the nicest looking ties... with the hook at the head or claws end.

I think your tie looks good... but.. can this design issue be considered?

I like the look of it.. but....

In my mind I think.... crayfish swim 'backwards'... the tail is the direction that the crayfish goes.. yes? I don't know but..... I think that prey-fish would attack the crayfish ... from the tail?!?!?!? Is this true or not?

In all the videos I've ever seen ... and from the sunfish and bass I've had in aquariums ... I've never seen a fish attack from the front. They follow and inhale from behind or from the side.

Trying to get in front of a fleeing bait fish or crayfish takes energy and prediction. Predators "run down" prey, attacking when they get close enough ... they don't "intercept" from the front.

So, a fleeing crayfish will, most likely, be inhaled claws and head first, which puts the hook point, on this pattern, in the right end.

I have seen some great underwater video where bass, particularly smallmouth, will grab a crayfish off the bottom and jerk it up into the air (water), then turn on it and inhale the thing whole. Most largemouth have a vacuum that is amazing and I believe in most cases they just inhale the whole critter in one massive volume of water and then crunch it down. I've had largemouths in the livewell many times that spit out a bunch of crayfish bit and pieces and occasionally a nearly complete one.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about hook orientation, just set the hook hard on first strike with largemouth. One lake we fished in MN the bass fed almost entirely on crayfish. I read about a way of telling if bass feed heavily on crayfish and that lake proved it. The small teeth the bass have were worn almost smooth from their diet. You could lip them all day and never hurt your thumb. Another nearby lake the primarily food was 'gills and small crappie and the bass in that lake would have your thumb bleeding on a good day.

I think it's a nifty looking crawfish. For my use, I'd tie it in light grey, which is the color of crawfish around here. I don't know if it would make a difference, though.

I like it! In my waters I might take a marker to the shell and mottle it up a little with some brown and dark olive. Is that felt your using? Sure looks buggy!

Yes it is felt I'm using I have 3 colors I like the brown the best I was thinking about using maker on that one so it's not so orange. It only caught a few fish they did not like the orange. But when I put down a brown one I could not keep it down.

Yes it is felt I'm using I have 3 colors I like the brown the best I was thinking about using maker on that one so it's not so orange. It only caught a few fish they did not like the orange. But when I put down a brown one I could not keep it down.