Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Madore

Ceramic Bobbins

For anyone who, like me, may have been vacillating on whether or not to spend big moolah on ceramic bobbins, I am here to say "get off the fence and do it!"

I bought (as part of a huge lot) a bunch of cheap imported bobbins and had mixed results. Some were OK, some frayed the thread, some couldn't seem to be adjusted just right, and one broke the thread every time i used it.

With all of them I had to be very careful else thread breakage was a certainty.

During my last trip to Bass Pro, though, I finally ponied up the $16 (Canadian) for Griffin's "Magnum Ceramic" bobbin and I can put my hand over my heart and say that the money was well spent.

I can now whizz the bobbin around the fly as it was meant to be used (palming the spool for tension and just letting the bobbin dispense thread) and not only has my tying speeded up, but I am not constantly wincing while waiting for the thread to break.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my epiphany with my fellow newbies. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....

P.S. Next trip to Bass Pro I'm gonna buy a few more.

Cheers!

Gary

Yup they are the way to go for sure. i just started using one myself about 6 months ago (dont know what took me so long) and love it. Paid about $14 for it at the local orvis shop and its a great little tool cool.gif

SD

I have both standard and ceramic bobbins and definetly reach for the ceramic ones more. I still use the standard ones alot though and never have had a problem with thread breakage, maybe I just have the magic touch!!!! (Definetly not but good to think that way)

dang.

this is the third time I've tried this...

don't get rid of yer non ceramic bobbins, use them for wire, tinsel, lead and other spooled material.

mgj

When I first started tying, I went cheap, and bought 2 non ceramic bobbins. They are alright of floss, and wire, lead, but I now have 8 ceramic bobbins for threads. No regrets in putting down the extra cash.

If you dig a bit, you'll find places like Feather-Craft have their own generic types of ceramic bobbins at about half the price of the Griffiths. I like to use the "mistakes" i bought for my lead and wires, too.

Mike

I use one straight steel bobbin for lead, one for floss and the rest are collecting dust in a drawer. I got a 'few ceramic bobbins (one for xmas), and want a few more. I'll never go back to steel tubes for thread especially for 8/0 thread.

Art

I did notice that Bass Pro had a couple of models of ceramic bobbins available:

The Griffin "Magnum" that I bought was about $16 (Canadian) but there were also some Sunrise (or were they Integra? Anyway, same-same) models there for about half the price.

The only real difference that I could see is that the Griffin has steel tube with a ceramic "lining" or "insert", while the Sunrise/Integra had just a ceramic tube which is itself held in the bobbin frame (no steel sheath.)

Anybody ever used the Sunrise/Integra models and care to comment?

I went with the Griffin because this first one was meant to see if a ceramic bobbin was "all that", so I went with the expensive, proven one.

Anyway, gonna check the craft stores today: Thanks for that tip!

Cheers!

Gary

I'm going to dig through some of my catalogues. I think I have seen a cheaper ceramic that does have a "tube" over it protecting the ceramic. I'd be a little leery of the plain ceramic... with my luck and clumsiness, I'd probably drop it and step on it. wallbash.gif

Mike

My Nor bobbin has a ceramic tube, works good for me. I like them more than the old steel tubes any day, easier on the thread. I have 2 ceramic Dr. Slick bobbins on their way along with a new pair of titanium 4" straight scissors!!! can't wait to test them out.

I seen the exact ones ones you are refering to at Bas Pro, I figured that the Griffin was the wiser choice I didnt like the look of the ceramic, without any protection. I bought mine about 2 months ago and my last trip to Bass Pro I meant to buy another Griffin but all they had at the time was the Sunrise bobbins. For a big store I expected a better materials selection, for that matter a better rod selection as well. Great selection of reels though I thought.