Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
P-Quad

Does anyone still use the standard Mustad hooks?

Like the 3906B, or 3366, 2 of my favorites. Sure, they aren't chemically sharpened, but I find them sharp enough to hook fish, and I've never had one break on me. My favorite thing about them, other than the price, is that when you pinch the barb down it doesn't break off, and leaves a hump. I don't seem to loose as many fish with them because of that. When I pinch the barb down on a micro barbed super sharp hook it usually breaks off, leaving smooth metal. The fish slide off the hook easily.

I've read reports on hooking mortality with the new hooks. Because they are so sharp, they penetrate easier, and deeper. This can sometimes cause excess bleeding which can increase fish mortality.

Something to think about.

Mark

I'll bet when you pinch down the barb and it breaks you are holding the pliers across the hook point. By holding pliers across the hook point you are twisting the barb as well as pinching it. If you put the pliers end on you don't get the twist and the barb or hook point breaks off a lot less.

The lump that is left is what lead to the development of arrow point barbless hooks, by Partridge. Twice the extra security of the lump is the theory. I'm not so sure in practice.

My suspicion is that Mustad hooks got the following they have by being adequate, available, and relatively, cheap. There are better hooks available, and hooks at least as good much cheaper now. What makes me wonder is when you get debate about a variation in shank length that amounts to 1/32" or less on a size 16, and people are worried about fly size consistency across different hook models. I mean these people are worried that this may affect a fly but will use 40 odd turns of thread where 2 are needed. It strikes me as a little ridiculous.

Still, to answer your first question, I do still, occasionally, use Mustad hooks, but I have no particular preference for them. I certainly don't consider them a "standard" (but I suspect that is a different use of the word "standard" than you intended). I wouldn't offer criticism to anyone for using them, neither do I specifically seek them out.

Cheers,

C.

I have quite few original Mustads left in my case that I use yes. I've bought new recently 94840 and they look better made than the older ones I just finished up. Incidentally, they say chemically sharpened on the container now, fwiw.

I like Accupoints too. They're sharp, they have them in teh curved shank I like for caddis emergers, what more can I say.

Yes I use them and have always used them. There are a few threads floating around on here about them and other hooks from the era when we didn't buy our hooks at a jewelry store.

Lots of differing opinions on the matter, but it is impossible to forget that billions of fish had been caught before the first chemically sharpened hook existed.

The only thing wrong with Classic Mustad hooks is that they are not nearly as available as they once were.

Crackaig's comment "What makes me wonder is when you get debate about a variation in shank length that amounts to 1/32" or less on a size 16, and people are worried about fly size consistency across different hook models. I mean these people are worried that this may affect a fly but will use 40 odd turns of thread where 2 are needed. It strikes me as a little ridiculous." pretty well illustrates the idiocy we fly fishers demonstrate regularly....

I use them but not exclusively. I haven't seen a reasonable substitute for the 33903 or the 3366 which I use frequently.

I don't use the exclusively either. I production fly tyed for 10 years and as a by product of that, I have a lot of hooks of various manufacture. But for certain patterns I only use Mustad. I'm probably odd in this, but my favorite Wooly Bugger hook is the 3906B, a 1XL hook. It gives me a bigger hook gap, and extra weight and strength. I use them in size 1 thru 10 for tying buggers and similar patterns.

Mark

I use a LOT of the Mustad 3366 hooks. They are perfect for both the streamers and bass bugs I like to tie, and, for whatever reason, a lot of retailers sell them dirt cheap! Around $5-6 for 100 hooks. Can't beat that with a stick!

I still use some of both the older Mustad & the newer Signature series. I've tied a lot of flies on the 3366, but have progressed to "better" hooks for most flies now, particularly since I tie bigger flies.I still use 3407's & 34007's for saltwater flies. I would spend the time sharpening any of the older Mustads.

I'm not brand loyal, so use what I can get at reasonable prices, but don't mind paying a bit more for a "better" hooks. I'm using plastic worm hooks for much of my tying now. (Owner, Gamakatsu, Daiichi, Allen, Tiemco, etc.)

Still, I have no issue with tying on or fishing with the Mustad's. Actually, I have some 3366 & 33637 Mustads in several sizes. The 33637 is a worm hook with barbs on the shank, but is basically the same hook as the 3366. The 33637 has a black finish, which I like for bass flies. If you're looking for hooks for bass flies, and can find the 33637, they're a decent hook for tying. I used to make some poppers on them too as an alternative to kink shank hooks, as those shank barbs help keep a popper body from rotating with a good thread base & epoxy. wink.png

I use Mustad hooks all of the time. I have been tying flies for 34 years and Mustad hooks were about the only hooks you could get on a regular basis when I first started tying. A box of 100 hooks cost $1.29 at my local sporting goods store way back then. As with everything in life, something new comes along. Tiemco, Daiichi, Dai-Riki, Targus, Gamakatsu, etc... These companies make some real "sexy" hooks. Barbless, chemically sharpened, different profiles, etc... The 200R is one of my favorite hooks and it is made by Tiemco. I tie hundreds of flies per month and give most of them away to people who are going to use, abuse and lose them. Does the hook matter? In most cases, no. If the hook meets your needs, does the brand really matter?

I still use Mustads for most of my tying. I have to disagree with you that they're still cheap though. Feather Craft is asking $4.90 for a 25 pack of the 3906/b hooks these days.

Regards,

Mark

I still use Mustads for most of my tying. I have to disagree with you that they're still cheap though. Feather Craft is asking $4.90 for a 25 pack of the 3906/b hooks these days.

Regards,

Mark

Mark,

I have a bunch of Mustad Hooks I am trying to clear out at $4.00 per hundred.

I use the 3399a's.I had a couple boxes gave to me that i have been using to tie panfish flies on.I really like them and will probably order more when they're gone.Can't say i have tried any other mustad hooks.

Most of my flies are tied on Eagle Claw hooks from Walmart.

Since I don't mash barbs, I don't have any issues with breaking them.