Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ddickey

Lesser Known Hackle Growers?

I would like to support some of the lesser know small family farm hackle producers. I want to know what are some of the small family type hackle producers that other have used and what they like or dislike about their capes or saddles.

The big producers chickens are genetically bred for the length and quality of their feathers. I understand what your are saying about the small guys and I am with you.

What I have seen is usually for pheasant, chucker, and partridge. Would like to know of some other options. It's hard to spend $45+ for a cape that I really won't use much of. Would also like to find an Amhearst Pheasent pelt that I don't have to give a first born for.

I buy exclusively from Charlie Collins now, have for years and I'll tell you why. He is an excellent grower and his chickens are the highest quality AND the hackles have more "life" in them and look more "Buggy" than anyone else. Plus, when you buy a hackle neck he also gives you the whole saddle. How many other growers do that?? His birds lineage come from the core growers in the Catskills, Darbee, Bittner, Miner, etc. That is why the Catskill tyers buy his hackle. They are the real deal.

He is really only well known among the Catskill crowd and his hackles really make dry flies and wet flies come alive. His prices are competitive and he's a one man operation.

Here's his web site:

http://www.collinshacklefarm.com/

Unless you've seen dry flies tied with his hackles it really is hard to explain how alive they look on the water. They are a distinct break from what we tie 99.99% of our flies with for the past years. This is the hackle of yesteryear with the qualities of modern hackles (i.e. high bard count, longer than the old stuff, more flexible and forgiving, etc). He will also get you what you need, meaning, if you need to tie special flies tell him what it is and he will match. I cannot recommend them more highly.

There are lots of breeders of "fancy" chickens, and several that specialize in fly tying. Two that come to mind right off the top are Bill Keough and Charlie Collins, but there are others. Both of those gentlemen produce high quality hackles that will stand up in any competition.

In addition, there are hobby growers of just about every kind of game bird you can imagine, you just have to figure out how to get in contact with them. Search the WEB for local associations and growers. The birds, like Golden Pheasant or Lady Amherst Pheasant, aren't particularly expensive in and of themselves, but the preparation of the skin adds significantly to the cost. Also, if you are looking for a full skin, including head and tail, you will pay a lot more for it. The heads can be bought for $10-$12, and the body plumage can be had for about the same. It's the tail feathers that get expensive. Lady Amherst tails feathers are one of the more highly prized (not just by flytiers) feathers, so they command a premium price.

Unlike, say rod makers, it's not like there's some kind of huge hackle industry that's squashing all the little guys. Hackle producers aren't the "Walmart" of the fly tying world. Basically, even if you buy from a "big name" hackle producer, you're still supporting the little guy.

Basically, even if you buy from a "big name" hackle producer, you're still supporting the little guy.

Huh?

Basically, even if you buy from a "big name" hackle producer, you're still supporting the little guy.

Huh?

Nevermind, he answered haha

NoSlack ... hackle chickens can't be treated like egg layers, or "Kentucky Fried Chicken meal" chickens. Those chickens are kept in pens all their life and basically are part of a production line.

Hackle chickens are pampered by comparison. You've got to separate them so they don't fight (ruining the feathers). You can't pen them up in tiny cages (ruining the feathers).

As far as I can tell, hackle chickens are treated similarly to family pets. Even "big name" producers can't "production line" hackle chickens, which means they run their business just like any other "little guy" enterprise.

I could be wrong ... I am just going by what I can gather from research. Maybe there are massive hackle production factories ... I just haven't seen them.

ddickey,

Interesting question. I know of one family farm that is in Northern Maine. I've have seen his necks at a couple of shows. They are exceptional, especially for the prices. If you call him, they have the feathers right there an can high grade them for what you are looking for.

http://www.theriaultflies.com/

Michael

Could anyone comment on the quality of collins saddles? What size they could tie, etc. I realize every one is different. Just want to see past experiences

Could anyone comment on the quality of collins saddles? What size they could tie, etc. I realize every one is different. Just want to see past experiences

The 5 Collins saddles I have will tie mostly #12-16. Quality along the entire length of the feathers is not as good as Whiting, but you can still get a couple flies out of one. I use them mostly on foam flies where they're not the sole means of floatation. No complaints; I love his capes and getting these saddles included in the cost is a great bargain.

Regards,

Scott

I recall reading about Whiting breeding his chickens for longer legs so that the longer saddle feathers would not be damaged. Here is the reference and it has a list of the small producers as well.

http://cgtu.org/documents/publications/genetic_hackle.pdf

“In Delta, Dr. Whiting was able to overcome his start-up difficulties and concentrate on improving the Hoffman breed. His first objective was to improve the feather count and the potential length of the saddle both limited by the small physical size of the stock. Hoffman's stock was a miniature breed with a small pelt size and short legs. In order to create his "dream" hackle, Whiting knew he would need a chicken with more feather potential and longer legs so the saddle feathers didn't drag on the ground.

Howard Hackle from Alberta, Canada. Some of the longest saddles I have seen!! I picked up some full saddles a while back. His cree is not bad at all. Also the dye jobs he does are great, very vivid.