Fly Tying
trevinski

Shed hunting??

Looking for sheds is neither a sport or hunting. I think a dog adds to the activity of looking for sheds. Chasing after a dog in the woods is not my definition of lazy. Neither is training a dog to find something. I think it's a great idea. Who knew there were shed sniffing dog clubs. Damn, I might have to get a dog. I wonder how you train the dog not to smell antlers until after they fall off the deer's heads.

While you're at it, teach him to go out and find them while you stay at home in front of the TV

I have friends that their labradores just picked it up naturally. I'm sure they wouldn't be too hard to train. Just have to cut the tines off so they don't lose an eye or poke themselves. I've heard of dogs that are now terrified of antlers because of this.

That's a nice a dog "shed" lol. Found this today pretty stoked about it. Looks a lot like a darker one I found earlier this year.

IMG_20160319_085943712_HDR_zpsi1bdi830.jIMG_20160319_175951306_zpsk6g91zha.jpg

The pile so far from last year and this year. Going to have to make a lamp or chandelier for the house or something cool for for the tying desk.IMG_20160321_080341_zpsczarmp5s.jpg

I live in Kansas. Shed hunting is a big deal around here. I have several friends that go all the time. They have dogs that WILL find and retrieve them. I have friends that have 50 gallon barrels full of antlers. Some just make piles in the corner of some room in there house. I guess, he who dies with the most antlers, wins. I guess? Is how I got these.

post-19822-0-78252000-1458740336_thumb.jpg

I live in Kansas. Shed hunting is a big deal around here. I have several friends that go all the time. They have dogs that WILL find and retrieve them. I have friends that have 50 gallon barrels full of antlers. Some just make piles in the corner of some room in there house. I guess, he who dies with the most antlers, wins. I guess? Is how I got these.

Those are beautiful, how did you get those?

Found two within 100ft of each other this week scouting for a big turkey on the roost. Both just laying in the road. One older white one. One brand new this years shed. It will be made into a striker handle for a pot call striker with a call I'm making from scratch. Abd I have plans for a necklace, a piece of the cross section of antler with a 12ga she'll end inset in it.

Sounds pretty cool! Ive seen where they will lay a antler down so it's tines face down and they drill a bunch of holes across the antler for various tying tools. Thought that was a good idea too.

A friend gave me 6 sets of antlers the other day that he just cut off of donated deer from the meat processing plant that he works at. Hes a good friend to have when it comes around hunting season and fair and rodeo. Bucktails and calftails galore lol.