Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Favorite Kind of Coffee

The wife's first one of the day. She's hell till then.

Now that's funny! In humour, there's truth eh?

My coffee is Sumatra Java, $10 a pound.

Mighty tasty with a pinch of milk,

and strong enough to float a witch.

Coffee water treatment: We filter our tap water , the coffee tastes cleaner or more pure you might say , and I don't get craps/cramps. Used to think that certain brands of coffee gave me the cramps ( well one or two do because of traces of gluten but I don't like flavored coffee anyway) but then I discovered the drinking water did the same thing when bottled water did not. There are a lot of minerals and stuff in our tap water even though the readings are acceptable 134ppm. We let a pot of unfiltered tap water evaporate on the pellet stove in the winter months and the deposits sitting on the bottom are heavy and corrosive, over a couple of winters it will etch and eat out the bottom of an aluminum pot . No wonder I had cramps. We have a ceramic one now. Some day I might put in a whole house filter system. Presently we filter just the cold tap water in the kitchen and it reads someplace between 0 and 50 ppm, by 75ppm I change it, and it takes out chlorine as well ( the town lightly chlorinates the water in the summer months).

100% Colombian is my favorite.

Preparation is a big thing for me. I cold brew it in a Toddy Maker, then cut it with milk.

I love coffee from Antigua!No sugar or creme-black all the way

I can vouch for the Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee ,,,,,I have recently purchased some ....wow the price got me !!

My father worked in jamaica years ago and always went on how good the coffee was ,,,so I decided to surprise him by purchasing some lol

I drove the necessary 1.5 hours to reach his home ..I took my stove top expresso with me armed with Milk and the Coffee in hand .

Well ....the look on his face was priceless ...it was worth it just for that lol

And the coffee tastes great .....but it bloody should for the price lololo

I don't understand cold brew - is the coffee cold when you drink it or do you heat it up to drink? I just moved back to Missoula, Montana and there are several places that advertise cold brewed coffee - haven't got up the nerve to try them yet. Just curious.

Cold Brew...

post-52874-0-51180500-1467323558_thumb.jpeg

Coffe and cold water go in the top container, the one with the filter and the stopper, and brews for a day.

Then you pull the stopper and the cold coffe drains into the glass pitcher.

Okay, what is the point? I'm not trolling, I'm just not seeing an advantage here. Is this like the "Sun Tea" movement years ago (can you say petri dish?)?

I know nothing about the Sun Tea movement.

If you believe the marketing, they will tell you it cuts acidity by 65%. But who knows...

What I like is that It comes out very smooth, super strong, like espresso, and when I mix it with milk is just like what I used to have back home, only cold, which is a plus in South Florida.

No cold coffee for me, no matter how good it might taste. Wife drinks it, I can't even drink the last sip out of my cup if it's not still hot.

On the other hand, the "Sun Tea Movement" is alive and well at our house. No "Petri dish," Swamp. Plain black tea is an herbal antiseptic.

Once it's sweetened with sugar, it can't be left out ... but the brewing in the sun is quite safe. I like very sweet tea. But Sun Tea needs half the sugar of hot water brewed tea to achieve the same level of sweet.

No cold coffee for me, no matter how good it might taste.

Oh, you can warm it up if you want. I just choose not to...

Got to check this Sun Tea thing. Sounds soooo keeeewl, maaan...!

Got to check this Sun Tea thing. Sounds soooo keeeewl, maaan...!

Naw ... just easy.

Clear glass gallon (or larger) jug with a good lid, 4 tea bags per gallon of cold water, leave it in the sun until desired color.

We like ours strong, so it sat out most of the day. However ...

We have a 1 1/2 gallon jug. We stopped putting it outdoors many years ago, when we found out it works in the fridge ... but you have to leave it twice as long. So, I make tea each night with the tea I started the night before. It brews for 24 hours.

I was going to say fad, but that sounded too negative. We made and consumed hundreds of gallons of sun tea in the 80's but had a few batches of tea go really bad on us and that was enough for me. If you have bugs go off in there before the tannin levels come up they can get the upper hand. It left a bad taste in my mouth if you will pardon the pun. I'm sure if someone handed me a glass of sun tea and not tell me what it was I would happily drink it in my ignorance. Of course down here you can just about boil water in a jar if you set it in the sun...

Just for the record I have nothing against cultured food like fermented (insert whatever food or drink here). I just usually want to choose the bacteria and or yeast. If I want cultured tea I'll buy or make krombucha. I drink my regular hot/cold tea unsweetened, so sugar is not an issue. Every once in a blue moon I want a glass of genuine Southern Sweet Tea. These days I just take three or four mason jars and add 4-8 bags of black tea and 1-2 bags of peppermint tea per jar, add boiling water, screw on the lid and then wait till it's cool enough to put in the fridge. When I want tea I just pop the seal on a jar, empty it into a gallon container, and fill the rest of the container up with water. That way I can keep 4-5 gallons worth of tea concentrate on hand and only make tea once or twice a week. I want to play with Krombucha and Kifir some more.

For those that don't know, Sweet Tea is made while the tea is still hot so it can hold more sugar. It's basically a simple syrup made with tea instead of plain water. It is more than just "sweetened" cold tea.

I tend to gravitate towards low acid coffee anyway so low acid is not a draw for me, but I'll probably try some cold brewed coffee on one of the rare occasions I go to a coffee hou$$e. Who knows might it be the best thing ever.......or at least since sun tea.

Naw ... just easy.

Clear glass gallon (or larger) jug with a good lid, 4 tea bags per gallon of cold water, leave it in the sun until desired color.

We like ours strong, so it sat out most of the day. However ...

We have a 1 1/2 gallon jug. We stopped putting it outdoors many years ago, when we found out it works in the fridge ... but you have to leave it twice as long. So, I make tea each night with the tea I started the night before. It brews for 24 hours.

Sounds pretty similar to my coffe, only with tea. Actually, the literature that came with this contraption said you could make tea as well, but I never tried.

... but I'll probably try some cold brewed coffee on one of the rare occasions I go to a coffee hou$$e. Who knows might it be the best thing ever.......or at least since sun tea.

That is another rea$$on. I can't stand robbery at smile point.

Anything with caffeine to get the juices flowing before a cold day of dog hunting deer, squirrels, rabbits, or birds, or a day of cold fishing. I like my coffee like I like my women. Hot, sweet, and blonde. Lots of sugar, and creamer or milk.