Fly Tying
retrocarp

The reason why we wear Sunnies and de-barb our hooks .....

No excuses I was being a dick .....trying to cast distance with a 6ft 3wt fiberglass rod in the wind ..

I had already caught 4 fish , one back of head and an arse .lolololo ..it was just a pain to get out as I hadn't debarbed it .

... a pain to get out as I hadn't debarbed it .

Real men don't mind the pain ... Barbed hooks rule !!!

On the other hand ... better you than me with that fly. Of all the places to get hooked, that's got to be one of the most sensitive.

That skin is a lot tougher than one would imagine ....I had to use pliers to push the hook barb through....who would have known skin is so damn elastic ...plus trying to do it all using my truck mirror I was pissing myself laughing .,..must have looked a sight. lolol

P.s I managed a few choice swear words...which is unlike me lol

I ricocheted a 2/0 clouser off my cheek this past weekend. Your picture reminds me of my luck...windy as hell and I should have casted over the shoulder, I knew what was going to happen.

Glasses always. I wish I could clear polarized lenses for my ESS frames.

... a pain to get out as I hadn't debarbed it .

Barbed hooks rule !!!

Yadda Yadda Yadda those sunfish down your way must be tough customers Mike if you really need barbs to keep them on the hook. Up here we can't keep them off the hook. lol

If that were me Nick I would have just cut the end of the hook off then removed it. Easy enough to tie another fly even if that one was the only one catching fish that day. I have yet to hook my flesh that solidly , clothing , well that's another matter all together. It's been a long while since I hooked someone else like that .

My son was up on one of these remote ponds in Maine in a canoe and ran across a guy off shore on a big bolder fly fishing naked ( guess he swam out to this bolder). I don't even want to think about what you could snag with a fly doing that. Probably drunk besides, I mean how else could one rationalize that action.

My son was up on one of these remote ponds in Maine in a canoe and ran across a guy off shore on a big bolder fly fishing naked ( guess he swam out to this bolder). I don't even want to think about what you could snag with a fly doing that. Probably drunk besides, I mean how else could one rationalize that action.

ah. I remember that day. Your son is very polite. Lmao

We had a woman in our fly fishing club that got a Royal Wulff stuck in her tongue. Did she get ribbed about that. She was good natured about it and took it all in stride.

I know this is a fly site, but here is my best, or worst, depends how you look at it. This is a pic of a kahle hook. I was channel cat fishing with my best fishing bud when I buried a 2/0 one of these in my thumb. I mean buried. The friken barb is as big as the entire hook of some flies I own. LOL. Now to sweeten this even better I must add that the hook went in my thumb right behind the base of my thumb nail and followed it right up behind the nail. There was no way to push the bard on through the skin to cut off the barb. My buddy took one look and was useless. LOL.. I had two choices. Stop fishing and go to the emergency room to have it removed for a reasonable $700.00 dollars plus, or start yanking. I chose the later. Even worse, it took several tries of yanking with more power added each try to get it out. Yes there was a little meat stuck to the barb when done. Now back to fishing for big cats. You should know that we regularly catch channels in the ten pound and larger at this small lake. My best was an 18 pounder the year before. I'M STAYIN JACK !

post-19822-0-62415700-1463500466_thumb.jpg

She could have started a new trend considering all the girls with tongue piercings these days.

That skin is a lot tougher than one would imagine ... 1)

...plus trying to do it all using my truck mirror ... 2)

1) Oh, I know the skin is tough, but it's one of those places that is exquisitely sensitive to touch, cold, pain, etc. I think the "Penthouse" article called them "Erroneous Zones" or something like that.

2) A while ago, I was reaching into my fishing van to get my life vest. Unseen by me, an old worm crusted hook was hanging down off my Brother-n-Law's rod and I stuck it right into the top curve of my right ear. One bad thing about bifocals. To get a good close look in the mirror, I had to tilt my head back, which put the hook out of sight. I could either position the hook to be seen, or have hands free to get the hook out ... but I couldn't do both at the same time.

Fortunately, an old couple came by. They almost got sick when I showed them, but the guy agreed to help. I told him to push the point through, cut it off, then pull the hook out. He did, except he pull the hook the rest of the way through, eye and all. I had pieces of worm and rust in that hole for weeks. Took about 2 months to actually heal.

That skin is a lot tougher than one would imagine ... 1)

...plus trying to do it all using my truck mirror ... 2)

1) Oh, I know the skin is tough, but it's one of those places that is exquisitely sensitive to touch, cold, pain, etc. I think the "Penthouse" article called them "Erroneous Zones" or something like that.

2) A while ago, I was reaching into my fishing van to get my life vest. Unseen by me, an old worm crusted hook was hanging down off my Brother-n-Law's rod and I stuck it right into the top curve of my right ear. One bad thing about bifocals. To get a good close look in the mirror, I had to tilt my head back, which put the hook out of sight. I could either position the hook to be seen, or have hands free to get the hook out ... but I couldn't do both at the same time.

Fortunately, an old couple came by. They almost got sick when I showed them, but the guy agreed to help. I told him to push the point through, cut it off, then pull the hook out. He did, except he pull the hook the rest of the way through, eye and all. I had pieces of worm and rust in that hole for weeks. Took about 2 months to actually heal.

LOL,,I'm not laughing at you Mike, laughing with you bro. Pulled the hook through eye and all. Lack of communication? Or what? Man that sucks! I cringe thinking about it. WHOOO! Man I hate getting stuck by hooks. AHHHHHH!!!!