Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

Is there an equivalent of Mustad 34007 in freshwater hooks?

I know there is no single or clear answer to this, but I am hoping you can help me narrow it down...

I have always tied on 34007s, 34011s or some random, non-tying hooks I already had laying around. Pretty much all saltwater hooks, or big bass ones.

Now I am thinking about getting some freshwater hooks for smaller ties, mostly terrestrials and some streamers.

So, is there a great all around hook, an old stand-by, popular and inexpensive that fits the bill like the 34007 does in saltwater?

Thanks

I've been using what ever Aberdeen hooks I can find. I like the mustad 3261 in size 2 and 4 and 6 for terrestrials. But I have a ton with regular eagle claw aberdeen panfish hooks. They all work for me. There's probably better out there but I just use what I can find here locally.

For my mayan filled ponds and canals I use the eagle claw, plain shank, all-purpose live bait hooks. They are a lot stronger and I don't bend them up unhooking fish.

For streamers.. I don't know..I don't do too many.

Pretty much my thoughts are that I'm comfortable using whatever outdoorstore, gas station, tackle shop, wallgreens, or wal-mart hooks I see that present themselves when needed or not needed if they're inexpensive.

I like the kamasan B200 in a size 6 /8/ 10 these are a Trout deep water nymph hook but I use them for little streamers as well

I've even been known to use mustad 34007 in smaller sizes for stream work smile.png

If you're worried about the colour of the hooks..... then don't be as it doesn't seem to matter all that much to the fish.

Mustad 3366,,, straight eye, nice bend,,, very low prices.

Still made and priced from $5-$6 per 100.

Sizes 8 through large for bass.

Regards,

FK

Mustad 3366,,, straight eye, nice bend,,, very low prices.

Still made and priced from $5-$6 per 100.

Sizes 8 through large for bass.

Regards,

FK

+1 I tie a lot of bass patterns on this hook.

I don't believe there is a universal freshwater hook equivalent to the 34007. Most saltwater flies tied on the 34007 are suggestive of baitfish/streamers. You asked about terrestrials and streamers. You might get away with a particular model for dries/terrestrials but that hook would be a huge compromise if you want to use it for streamers, nymphs and maybe classic wet flies. I think you need at least 4 models/styles (dry, nymph, wet, streamer) and that is still limiting yourself. Why would you want to do that?

I tie on many styles & models of hooks now, but at one time my most used freshwater hooks, particularly for trout & SM bass was the old Mustad 9671 & 9672 nymph/streamer hooks. I also used the Mustad 3366 for tying, mostly for bass flies.

I also agree with the idea of using the basic Aberdeen styles especially if cost is an issue. Several years ago I purchased some South Bend brand Aberdeen hooks, and they turned out to be an excellent hook for flies. They have a straight eye & bronzed finish, and are quite sharp. Not as sharp as some of the better brands of fly hooks, but certainly sharp enough considering the price difference.

As far as using saltwater hooks in freshwater, yes, I've done that too, and still do. However, hooks such as the 34007/3407 being quite stout are not ideal for all applications in freshwater, especially where lighter tippets are desired. A finer wire hook would still be needed for some flies.

Personally, I try to choose hooks based on what I'm tying, and the shape of the hook I wish to use, so one hook type/model doesn't get it done for me.

I think you need at least 4 models/styles (dry, nymph, wet, streamer) and that is still limiting yourself.

I don't necessarily agree, as nymph, wet & streamers could be tied on a single style with only a length variation. As I said above, the old Mustad 9671 & 9672 I used for most of the tying I did of these types of flies, and the only difference between the 2 hooks was length. I even tied some floating flies on these hooks, mostly terrestrial patterns such as hoppers & crickets. Both in the smaller sizes also worked fine for deer hair or foam worm patterns.

But, yes I agree if the styles used for each are different. There are a lot more materials & hook styles available today too then there used to be. Limiting your hooks or materials choices is of course personal. No right or wrong, and if a tyer is satisfied with only using a minimal number of hook styles or models, to each their own.

as already mentioned, the 3366 is fairly close. I've tied a ton of flies on them and I like them a lot. I have them from 1/0 down to 10. You can do a LOT with those hooks.

I also just saw that I have some 3407s in size 6 and 4 from when I did more saltwater tying for smaller stuff. They're really good hooks and much stronger than 3366s but as TWF pointed out, they're typically going to be used with lighter tippets/tackle anyway.

I've caught a couple truckloads of fish with 3366s and do not remember ever having a problem.