Fly Tying
flytire

September flies from the vise

... mine doesn't like holding them when I pack.

Honestly, I don't think any vice holds perfectly when picking deer hair. In my few attempts at it ... and on most of the videos I've seen ... you have to hold the back of the fly and the hook when packing.

I still hold the hook, but it is to prevent the whole assembly from sliding back on the shank when I am using the brassie tool.

Should say used to. Been a while...

Bimini I do that as well it kind of annoying since it messes up the hair at the back of the fly a little, I have an anvil atlas and it really does pretty well I think the style of jaws on the regal work better for it since they are in line with the hook shank.

Honestly, I don't think any vice holds perfectly when picking deer hair. In my few attempts at it ... and on most of the videos I've seen ... you have to hold the back of the fly and the hook when packing.

I use an HMH Spartan. If I have it adjusted correctly for packing, I'm more likely to bend the hook than have it slip. For whatever reason, the hardest thing for me to clamp in the vise and pack hair on is an articulated shank. Not sure if it's the material or simply the obvious, that it's harder to get them seated deeply in the jaws, that leads to them wanting to move on me.

I use an HMH Spartan. If I have it adjusted correctly for packing, I'm more likely to bend the hook than have it slip. For whatever reason, the hardest thing for me to clamp in the vise and pack hair on is an articulated shank. Not sure if it's the material or simply the obvious, that it's harder to get them seated deeply in the jaws, that leads to them wanting to move on me.

Cream,

Have you taken a look at something like this.

s-l500.jpg

OR

s-l500.jpg

I have both and the shank doesn't move after I ground down the stem of the chuck to be more flat.

Kimo

Cream,

Have you taken a look at something like this.

s-l500.jpg

OR

s-l500.jpg

I have both and the shank doesn't move after I ground down the stem of the chuck to be more flat.

Kimo

Interesting. I still wonder, though, with a hook looped onto the articulated shank, it still limits how much bite any kind of jaw can get on the shank. Here's a pic of a pattern I am playing with, partially completed.

B6203453-D9F4-4C76-9E59-E1ED844156D0_zps

Since I have the Gama B10S secured to the shank, I can't just jam the whole end of the shank into the jaws to get a solid grip on it. What I end up doing is sliding the hook as high as I can and get as much jaw surface on the end of the shank as possible, but I still don't get as good of a grip as I do on a normal hook. Make sense?

Cream,

Have you taken a look at s

You are right, they won't work with that kind of shank.

Kimo

A mix of trout flies and bass flies this weekend. A couple dozen #20 WD-40s (not pictured) up to #4 bass minnows came off the vice.

29681503142_4b91bd2074.jpg

CDC BWO Cripple - first attempt. The biot body came out better on later versions, but this is the only picture I took.

29681500522_61665e7151.jpg

One of the reasons I like my India made vise is because of how well the jaws hold hooks ( dah, wouldn't keep it if it didn't lol), it's a cam lock and I adjust it a little tight for packing. I don't hold the hook but I do put pressure against the cam lever or head of the vise to stabilize the the clamp ( it's a clamp mount). In fact my only gripe with the vise at all is that the rotating feature is a little sloppy, could use a set of bushings in there. But then I don't tie these fancy deer hair works of art we are seeing in the forum, maybe the head of a diver and certainly Muddlers is about as intense as it gets.

There was a thread today on using a cell phone to take fly pictures in the photo forum... There was also a great thread on tweaking and tuning fly photos on a white backgroud that I need to try when I get some time. In any case this is not a September fly, at least not tied September 2016 but I did just take it with a cell phone just to see how it would come out in auto mode.

phoneflypic1_zpsbbhng1qy.jpg

I would say it is pretty good!

What size hook? How complicated is tying those biot knots?

Pretty sure it is a size 6 hook. The fly is 2 1/2 inches in length and as far as the biots go... the first one takes a couple minutes, the 2nd one takes a half a minute and then when you get the hang of it you can do a couple dozen in a few minutes. I'm sure there has to be a youtube video. I recall seeing some sort of gizmo that is used to make legs from the pheasant center tail to do a bunch at once.