Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Thinking about a Blog...

Hey guys, so here i am with the idea for a Blog. I am planning on using wordpress...

Does anyone have any tips or something to share, I think this will be a lot of fun for me, and I enjoy this kind thing

Flats

Flats, does the saying Jack- of-all -Trades-Master-of-None, hold any meaning for you? May want to look that up....

Who is your target audience? Just because lots of folks here have your back when you are under attack, despite the fact that you threw the first verbal punch, does not mean they want to read a blog. Youth might get you one free pass, you are going to need much more than luck to get any more.

You should ask your parents on this one. You do not even have "legal capacity" to make a contract. You might want to ask your folks, if you are wildly, (improbably) successful, how to deal with tax accountants, intellectual property attorneys, and public relations experts. Success can be curse, it will-for sure- disrupt fishing and tying activites.

How about running this by your mom and dad then getting back to us?

You have many fans on FTF, you can count me among them, but maybe you just need to keep "Thinking about a Blog" for a few years before acting on it. Will probably save you a defamation lawsuit or two, if you flame someone with whom you disagree without having any facts in your favor. Talk to dad and grandfather about it.

Hope you are seeing a theme here.

Keep posting. Peace Out...

Blogs use to be a big thing years ago, but to be honest now a days they are somewhat a thing of a the past since Facebook and other interactive types of social media are now the norm. There's still some decent blogs out there that people still read, but most of them had their established fans before other social media started up so that's probably why some blogs are still followed by some people.I use to have a blog about 10 years ago for my rod business but I ended that and now have a facebook page for my rod business separate from my personal facebook page for myself. IMO you'd probably be better off doing a facebook page rather than an actual blog.

Depends what you want to use it for. I know someone who runs a very popular blog fir my area which only started recently, but because there wasn't a blog posting reports and tips around here, thatveas the root of their success.

If you are advertising something or trying to get ads and money from it, it's hard. You have to find a niche... a certain area that needs reports fora certain kind of fishing, and you must have enough original content.

If you just want to do it for fun, go for it. I know a lot of people who use blogs as a way of keeping their old reports, and while seldom to others read theae, they often have the best info around.

I say if you want to start a blog then go for it.Start one and see how it goes.See what kind of following you are going to have.

Set a time period and after that time if it is not doing as well as you hoped then close it down.What have you got to lose?

Use your facebook and social media to advertise it.Keep it updated with content people will want to see.Keep it interesting so people want to come back.

Success of the blog depends on the audience you attract to it.

Good luck.

Ok I guess it does make sense to not start this...

Thanks for the input: )

It depends why your wanting to do it, if its for you to put your own thoughts on paper, go for it! If you really are trying to become someone in fly fishing world you do have a tough road ahead of you due to age and experience. The older guys are going to have a hard time following a teenager and kids your age are few and far between that fly fish.

Ok I guess it does make sense to not start this...

Thanks for the input: )

It depends why your wanting to do it, if its for you to put your own thoughts on paper, go for it! If you really are trying to become someone in fly fishing world you do have a tough road ahead of you due to age and experience. The older guys are going to have a hard time following a teenager and kids your age are few and far between that fly fish.

Well said. Flats, go for it if that's something you want to do for fun, your own personal records/logs, etc. If you're trying to make it big in the fly fishing world, blogs probably not gonna do that for you.

If You aren't already, Id advise keeping detailed logs from your trips now. Either in a blog, online, in a notebook, etc. I keep very strict logs now which have been a huge help these days, but if I had started keeping logs earlier I have so much more knowledge.

get a girlfriend and that will keep your mind off a blog smile.png

But then he won't have money to fly fish wink.png

But then he won't care !!