Fly Tying
eide

Zoo Cougar

I keep thinking about that unusual (for me) wing... what is the purpose of the duck feather? Does it give the fly a diving action?

I think it gives it a bit of a resistance, so that after you strip and the fly dives and you pause between strips it floats up slower with a bit of a shimmy rise back up. Without the flat wing I think it'd pop back towards the surface faster. Just my guess.

Thanks, Chris.

Does the wing feather keep its shape while swimming or do the fibers sweep back?

That is all I need, an excuse to get into duck feathers... smile.png

Not sure if the wing feather keeps its shape completely in the water... I think it should. I always tie in another one to double up the wing on these.

The wing shape is the most critical aspect of this pattern. The other important aspect is spun deer hair head. This pattern is one Kelly Galloups early patterns. A good idea is to watch Kelly's you tube video on this pattern to have better understanding of the over all concept behind its design.

Does anyone know how his streamer names came about?

Between the cougar, the golden shower, the barely legal and the sex dungeon I really, really wonder.

Just part of the wonder of multi-media. If you want someone to look at your non-sex-related stuff ... give it a sex-related name.

It's hard to explain to my mother why her 16 year old is watching videos about sex dungeons, barely legals, and golden showers. :P

Between the cougar, the golden shower, the barely legal and the sex dungeon I really, really wonder.

I just tied up some dirty T&As. :whistles:

I just tied up some dirty T&As. :whistles:

That's a killer fly. Earlier I tied up some Muff Munchers and Cornhole Surprises. Can't wait to try them out... ;)

It's just marketing. He has a list of names waiting on a fly.

While I like Galloup's patterns, I have a tendency to rename them in my head "juvenile-fly-name #1, juvenile-fly-name #2, juvenile-fly-name #3, etc. Seems much more fitting.