Zoo Cougar

2017.01.08.zoo_cougar_yellow-1024x640.jp

Tail: Yellow marabou

Body: Silver/flash

Underwing: Squirrel

Overwing: Yellow mallard flank

Head and collar: Yellow deer

2017.01.08.zoo_cougar_yellow_articulated

This year I'll bring some small and large streamers with me to the stream, haven't had a big focus on that before, so time to try something new!

2017.01.08.zoo_cougars-1024x640.jpg

Be interesting to see what you manage to tease out on those. Do your rivers hold pike?

Hopefully some trout, no pike where I'm fishing

I did not know you could tie non salmon flies! smile.png

I can do more ;)

That's a Beaut Clark.

Buddy of mine had good success with one earlier in December.

I'm tying some up and the hardest thing is finding good mallard flanks

I really like the big yellow one, would be great here in spring as an "Ålekvabbe" (Zoarces viviparus) imitation.
If only the weather will behave, so the surfers can´t get out :D

I keep thinking about that unusual (for me) wing... what is the purpose of the duck feather? Does it give the fly a diving action?

I keep thinking about that unusual (for me) wing... what is the purpose of the duck feather? Does it give the fly a diving action?

I think it gives it a bit of a resistance, so that after you strip and the fly dives and you pause between strips it floats up slower with a bit of a shimmy rise back up. Without the flat wing I think it'd pop back towards the surface faster. Just my guess.

I think it gives it a bit of a resistance, so that after you strip and the fly dives and you pause between strips it floats up slower with a bit of a shimmy rise back up. Without the flat wing I think it'd pop back towards the surface faster. Just my guess.

Thanks, Chris.

Does the wing feather keep its shape while swimming or do the fibers sweep back?

That is all I need, an excuse to get into duck feathers... :)

Where can you purchase consistent flanks? The three packs I have are nearly worthless.

I am getting ready to substitute guinea fowl for the wing.

Make friends with duck hunters. I shoot ducks every fall with mallards making up 95% of the bag. Always save Flanks for tying. Most hunters don't tie so they can help you out if you are nice. Got three buck tails yesterday and scores of turkey wing feathers from friends who hunt thiose animals. Free to boot. Good luck.

Where can you purchase consistent flanks? The three packs I have are nearly worthless.

I am getting ready to substitute guinea fowl for the wing.

This was from http://cookshill-flytying.co.uk/ - always get good material from him, will order up some more flanks for another set soon!

Guinea should make an interesting variation. Experiment. Use other feathers with other patterns for different looks.