Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bellevue.chartreuse.trout

For All You Guys Tying Flies or Fly 'Parts' With Mono...

... what size of mono do you use and what do you tie with it?

Is anyone tying with 0.008" or smaller diameters and what are you tying with it? Are you using any adhesives with this tying and how does it affect the mono, that is, is the adhesive melting the mono or not?

Thanks

BCT

I tie some flies with mono thread, but not sure about the diameter. No problem that I've noticed with epoxy, or Sally Hansen's which is what I use for head cement. Occasionally have used CA glues, but no issues there either.

I'm tying some Clouser or Crazy Charlie style flies with it, salt patterns mostly, some crab patterns too. Use it where I want a transparent appearance, often with synthetics materials. Otherwise I use Danville flat nylon thread.

Mono thread.

100_5853_zpsyzlhlt9w.jpg

mono used to mean monocord which is still sold... but today it more often means monofilament. I just looked at what I have loaded on my bobbin and it is 10/0 or 45 denier gudebrod. It does come in a couple sizes and I'm sure I have used them all at one time or another, mostly for surf candies or EP peanut butters or a bunch of other flies. Mostly I use it with synthetics but I know that some salt water tyers use mono pretty much exclusively. I haven't heard of any issues reacting with adhesives.

tight wraps!

I pick up clear polyester thread at Michael's and A.C Moore's. It's a 440 yard spool which fits my bobbins. I use it for salt water patterns, Clousers and bait fish patterns.

post-309-0-29608900-1484699820_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-71567000-1484700067_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-45986200-1484700314_thumb.jpg

I usually use Krazy Glue to secure them and depending on the pattern coat them with UV resin.

.008 is about like Chameleon 3x tippet material. I tie with red moncord probably thinner than that but also clear mono about that thickness for ribbing sometimes. Never an issue at any rate. I use Rumpf head cement with it, Sally's with it and super glue.

I use the clear mono thread from Walmart often. Love it. Only thing is that it stretches and then pops.

.008 is about like Chameleon 3x tippet material. I tie with red moncord probably thinner than that but also clear mono about that thickness for ribbing sometimes. Never an issue at any rate. I use Rumpf head cement with it, Sally's with it and super glue.

"Posted Today, 09:17 AM

Thanks for all the feedback.

Was kind of hoping that someone was tying really small and might use something smaller than the 0.008" that I've been tying/trying."

Are you having problems with it ?

I could see myself loading up a spool with 6x tippet and tying with it, we tie leader knots with it all the time and I know it's under .008.

I'll try again. Here is a link to a threads chart http://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/fly-tying-thread-table

based on the linked reference table, gudebrod 10/0 mono is .152 mm. I believe .008" Veevus is .2 mm which is wider in diameter than than I am using.

hope this helps

Johnny thanks for the thread table page and Dave - the past few years I've been experimenting with tying foam extended bodies and have had success with it when I was tying a rather large body for like a March Brown or something of that size. But I'm trying to tie smaller and smaller and trying to see how far I can go with it.

So this session I tried mono at 0.004" and SpiderWeb. I've had 'trouble' with the mono and less so with the SpiderWeb. The mono just seems too thick and with the wraps that I use to secure the tailing and then the tips of the foam, it just seems to bulk up too much. The SpiderWeb seems to have much less bulk when I do the same tying with it.

So I just wanted to see who tied with (and how small those that tied with) mono - and how it worked for those folks. I know I stated 0.008" on the original post but I'm pretty sure I previously mic'd what I'm using and it came in at 0.004" - and it's still bulking up too much for my satisfaction. I don't think 7X or 8X tippet goes much smaller though as I thought I could try it.

I know, this that I'm trying is ridiculous small but ah... thought I'd give it a shot - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

BCT

I checked one spool I have, the spool is marked .005. Other spools of mono thread I have are not marked, so not sure what the diameter may be. I have some I had gotten from Danville, and some I've bought from sewing supply shops.

Since I'm a saltwater tyer (larger flies) as well as a luremaker -for years and years I've simply spooled used line from small spinners onto empty tying spools when I needed mono for tying purposes (mostly 4lb mono - occasionally 6lb....). Since I use a variety of reels as fishing guide (understatement - my normal load on the skiff with spin or conventional gear is eight rods - with fly rods a half dozen....) that also comes with different color lines (clear, pink, smoke, dark green) so you do have a choice.... This pic shows a very full pink pearl "clear charlie" the tying "thread is 4lb clear mono - the body is vinyl D rib over pink pearl flashabou - all on a # 4 Mustad 34007 hook - the wing is tan kiptail (calf tail).

post-30940-0-84162300-1484824797_thumb.jpg