Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Trout

Lead Ban In Canada

I am a member of a local forum in Canada here similar to FTF, and there is a huge debate going on right now on the proposed lead ban on fishing tackle below 50g. I am aware that some states, I believe New Hamshire is one and a few of your National Parks, have already done this and I was just curious as to how this affected the sportfishing industry. Many here believe that this will absolutely cripple the sport fishing industry. I myself am undecided about the ban but I was looking for imput from fellow anglers on how this has really affected them. I cant see it ruining the indusrty as we humans are known for evolving, are they just trying to fight change or do you think that a fight against the ban is legitimate?

Why would it cripple the industry, there is plenty of other material to make sinkers out of? For that matter, many fisherman I know use other metals anyway bismuth, clay, steel, tin, glass, tungsten beads and putty. I buy steel shot when duck hunting (required by law).

Why would it cripple the industry, there is plenty of other material to make sinkers out of? For that matter, many fisherman I know use other metals anyway bismuth, clay, steel, tin, glass, tungsten beads and putty

This is the question I am asking, I know there are other materials, seems everyone else up here doesnt want to use them. As well they are worried that the ban wont stop at tackle, I dont even know what else it could affect really. My concern for lead is just the initial expense of switching over as untill the supply is abundant for other materials we are likely gonna get raped at the tackle store.

when the law passes they are going to have too I guess, that or quit fishing and take up golf.

I can't see it being a bad thing myself. when my last spool of lead wire is gone im gonna look for something better

-T

When push comes to shove, we will change. I think that the cost debate is moot. We spend a small fortune every year on fishing goods that a slight increase in shot cost isn't going to cripple anyone, or prevent them from fishing. I have more of a problem with the bad science and politics behind it.

Art

They say that lead is bad for the environment and want to ban it, but why stop at lead. What about the polutants coming out of the factory down the street. Politicans are hipocrits, stop me from puting 5 oz of lead in the streams i fish a year but allow a business to dump tons of carsinogens into the same watershed, go figure.

In the Pa fishing reg summary there are 2 1/2 pages of fish consumption advisories, they sure as heck didt get there because of the sinkers i lost fishing.

I'm already working that way on my own. Last spring I was thinking about all the shot I lose while steelhead fishing and I don't even fish as much as many do. I won't be buying lead shot anymore and I won't be selling it either. Dinsmore or the putty type stuff are it. Once my lead wire is gone it will be replaced by the lead free stuff.

Shotshells went that way for ducks years ago and some states here have banned lead for upland also on their state lands.

I think that the cost debate is moot. We spend a small fortune every year on fishing goods that a slight increase in shot cost isn't going to cripple anyone, or prevent them from fishing.

I agree Art I this is why I am having trouble taking up arms with these guys. If cost is the only thing we have to worry about and a small increase at that, then why all the outrage against the ban. I think as fisherman and people who care about the environment this isnt such a bad thing.

I believe the debate is what caused this ban to go into effect in the first place ie. no serious studies to back up the ban. I heard they found one Loon had died of lead poisoning and it had some sinkers in it's belly. Hence the ban- there are a lot of other reason that could have caused the higher lead levels but they didn't really investigate further.

Ken cool.gif

Not to push the issue here but everyone knows lead is bad for you, your pets, and other living creatures. If you don't think there are enough studies do a search on lead based paint. The law is about protecting migratory birds that DO eat the sinkers and lead shot left by hunters and fishermen. You can argue its politics but look at the facts, lead does some nasty things. Yes there are other polutants that need cleaned up but just because they haven't yet doesn't mean you can't start somewhere.

50-90 cents per pack extra isn't that less that what even bait fishermen pay for a dozen worms? Another side effect might be that the fisherman will be more willing to pull in his lines vs. break them off and leave them for someone else to clean up.

I dont have a problem with switching over to lead free weights if I had to but honestly I take the "facts" on stuff like this with a grain of salt. I've heard for years about lead based paint, and lead in this lead in that and really have a hard time believing everything they say.

I know a few old guys that have been custom body work guys and worked their whole lives useing lead on cars instead of body filler. These guys worked with lead every day for years and when they did it back in the 60's&70's they never wore protective masks or gloves...now these guys are 80 years old and still kickin around so you'll forgive me if I dont believe everything these protective agencys tell me.

With that said if I had to I wouldnt mind switching over as long as the new weights were easy to find because right now around here Lead is still in every shop.

SD

The first link listed below cites a decade-long study conducted through Tufts University. Other following links cite various states’ information regarding acceptance of historical or supportive data.

http://www.acfnewsource.org/environment/le...ee_fishing.html

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Newsroom/N...ened_052704.htm

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/no...fish_tackle.htm

http://www.nyscc.com/pr_lead_sinker_ban50504.htm

http://www.moea.state.mn.us/reduce/sinkers.cfm

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mfishsinkers.html

And, for the moment, last- but certainly not least (and not over by a long shot, I bet!)

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePr.../01/366005.html

Why am I not surprised?

Observations: Every group wants what THEY want and isn’t willing to give an inch without a fight, because they believe it infringes on their ‘rights’ or ‘enjoyment’ or ‘ability to pursue the “old-fashioned” way’; that their pocketbooks are affected; that there isn’t any “truth to the science” or that “the science is wrong”; that it “…just isn’t fair, the government can’t tell me what I can or can’t do.” Well, Boys and Girls, You’d better - as we say at sea, “stand by for an MFR!!! - ‘cuz you’ve got a rude awakening coming.

Life’s tough! Get a helmet! If it isn’t obvious that one action every one of us learned about in Science 101, to wit: Birds ingest hard objects to help digest certain food materials. Lead pellets and shapes are indistinguishable from bank gravel or pond bottom stones.

This is just one quill on the Porcupine’s back. There is so much more selfishness and ignorance that can be addressed about sustainable ‘this’ or endangered ‘that’; groups that don’t want to hear “it” wont- not until too much damage is done and handwriting is all over the wall- then the “aggrieved”, the “suffering”, the “unable to enjoy my fishing or hunting or….” – whatever – then they’d be screaming about why the government didn’t “do anything to stop this…”

Kinda fits with something my Father used to say – “use your head before you open your mouth.” People should think before beating their chests hollering “not me.”

Hope the links help you decide whom to align with.

I think the ban is a good move.

As far as I know lead was banned here last year, the split shot is the prefererd sinker for most fisherman and is still on the shelves. The subsituite is also there and cheaper but lighter. I think most of the "negativity" is that people in general do not like to be told what to do. Most people that fish arround here have fished the same way for several years. I am not going to tell them they are wrong, I'd also like to see the D.N.R. try to arrest them for having a lead sinker. As far as I know this does not apply to salt water. I am also sure the licence price is going up does that supprise you?