Fly Tying
Decisions

Strip Peacock hurl?

Question.....

How does one strip off the fibers from a peacock herl? Is there a trick to it? I have tried but I keep breaking the hurl.

Cheers, Ron...

I just pull a single herl through my fingers a few times, kind of catch a nail against it lightly, it usually comes right off. Might leave a little fuzz which I kind of like actually. I've heard of guys using a pencil eraser too, lay the herl on a bench or cutting board, counter top or what ever and run the eraser along it's length, again I don't think you need a whole lot of pressure but I've never had to try that approach.

Clorox bleach will remove them in just a few minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on them or the whole hurl will be gone. Be sure to rinse well too.

Fly Tyer magazine had tips for removing herl in a recent issue - not sure if it's the current or last issue - Al and Gretchen Beatty did the article. They might chirp up in here.

A.K. Best has the book Dyeing and Bleaching..... also describes processes and methods for a lot of things including herl 'fuzz' removal.

When using bleach, have a rinse bath ready from the start and dip the bleached product into it if you think you might have bleached too long. If you did, the herls will be a bit brittle with results that frustrate as you will tie one on and half way up the hook shank it'll break.

I found an ink eraser to be a little more aggressive to remove the fuzz form herl. Of course you could get carried away with this or any method - so it will take a little 'getting used to' (the learning curve) no matter what method you practice.

As with most of this stuff though, google it and I bet you find many ideas.

BCT

Thanks for the input guys. Muchly appreciated. I experimented with the simple finger nail method, and yes, I feel like a heal for not trying this....

Cheers, Ron...

Now, to find some #28 or smaller hooks.

Good luck on small hooks. If they're still making them nobody stocks them. I think Tiemco stopped making smaller than 28 and Mustad smaller than 26. Here is a place for small hooks and I've bought several items from him and been happy with service and quality but haven't tried his #30 hooks yet.

Thanks for that Hazathor! Right off the hop, I see I was trying to use the wrong hurl to make them.

Cheers, Ron...

I strip strung peacock herl without any particular issue and they might actually work better on small hooks. I just strip a few as needed, I don't use them often enough to stock up a case full of them.

The smallest hook I tie on these days is size 24 and those are kind of a challenge to see at that. I bet McFly could name a source for tiny hooks, he uses them in 28 I believe.

Hi Ron,

We use 4 methods most of which have been covered by other members here. The eraser and fingernail methods have been covered pretty well here. The bleach method requires close attention as mention by Heavynets but we suggest using a mixture of 50% bleach and 50% water. If you elect to speed that process up by adding more bleach keep a very close eye AND when about 90% of the herl fibers are gone, stop the process by rinsing with water. The last method does the best job and that is wax/paraffin. Melt the paraffin and dip the butt end of the herls in the melted liquid and set them aside to dry. One strip of the thumbnail will remove the fibers from the stem along with the paraffin. Take care & ...

I like using a pencil with a rubber on end. The herl sometimes breaks. Wetting it first helps prevent heat snapping it. Great finish on a fly but I hate doing the stripping. Think I'll give the parrafin a try. Do you wash the herl again after to clean off residual smell?