Fly Tying
Piker20

Anyone suggest a pattern.

Lots and lots of larch ladybirds in the water today. http://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/larch-ladybird

These bugs are common about here with the forestry providing good habitats.

I caught a fish on a small hackled dry with a small silver tag but felt I needed something a little more match the hatch to do better.

I'd probably use something like a crackleback tied with tan dubbing and brown hackle. Some sparkly black dubbing would probably work too. Or a tan foam beetle. Size 14 or 16, maybe?

Yeah I tried a humpy but it was prob too large a size. But that would possible do it.

The basic ball of dubbing and heavy gink would work too but not really cricket.

The middle pic looks like what I'm after. Trouble is I've yet to find a foam that works in real life. I mean floats and doesn't just sink. I'll have some more attempts with the closed cell.

Hello Colin, as it happens I recently got my hands on a sheet of Veniards foam that will work (lower density) in just that colour for just that job. Want some? You know where it is!

Cheers,

C.

Don't forget, only the bottom matters to the fish.

I would go with a simple foam beetle. They all float but are hard to see without a sighter sticking up. I use a high vis post or "wing" on all my beetles.

It takes a surprising amount of foam to float a hook. Although some foams are lower density, I've found common craft foam floats as well as any of them. I've done the math and the lower density foams don't make that much difference in floatation. Craft foam is the most common stuff found in big box stores.

If your patterns sink, use more foam and smaller or lighter hooks. Sometimes I tie a beetle on a short shank hook with quite a bit of the foam abdomen extending off the back or the hook. Greater foam to hook ratio.

Here's a standard foam beetle that I use as a basic template.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=53

Good SBS Bruce. I like the hot spot idea. Could carry different shade backs to suit water and sky colour.

Norman, I'm not sure I can be fussed with balsa but it would certainly work. I also considered silicone sealer bodies.

Alan, I will have a look again at the foam thats in my drawers and boxes as there is heaps lying about. We're due to move end of the month to wick so everything in stages of packing. Out of curiousity what reel have you been using on the #3? I'm currently using an old rimfly but its too heavy for my rod. reluctant to spend more than £40 on something else though as it isnt the end of the world.

When I saw those beetles my first thought was they're about the same color as a jungle cock nail. I know it's old school, but I immediately thought of a jassid, a pattern I used as a kid but haven't seen in at least 30 years.

Of course the fish don't really see much of the top half of any dry fly, especially one that rides low in the film, it's how it looks from underneath that counts.

When I saw those beetles my first thought was they're about the same color as a jungle cock nail. I know it's old school, but I immediately thought of a jassid, a pattern I used as a kid but haven't seen in at least 30 years.

Of course the fish don't really see much of the top half of any dry fly, especially one that rides low in the film, it's how it looks from underneath that counts.

A beetle, having a solid case will be a very different silhouette from below than a plain hackled fly, Looking at the Jassid pattern I'm thinking that may be a very good imitation. JC appears to be very dense black if viewed from a UV aspect (Reed Currys book). So from below the JC roof should provide a good beetle shape.

Wick! Can't say as I like the place, but I suspect job related? Take it easy on the Brays!

My main reel for light lines is an Orvis Battenkill, (Bar Stock) one of the last BFR ones. However that still has my 4wt on it for the shorter rods. The three weight is on one of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Aluminium-Trout-Salmon-Sea-Fly-Fishing-Line-Reel-2-3-5-6-9-11-WT-UK-STOCK-/252102034019?var=&hash=item3ab273c263:m:mHBN7PiaWC9l7UBazgTKy9w

Get a size larger than you need with these. ie. The 5/6 weight reel is about the right size. Though if you can get a better one do so. These are not great, but ok for the money. Good as a backup.

Cheers,

C.

Crackaig's finally cracked. I believe the post above is actually in the wrong thread!

Crackaig's finally cracked. I believe the post above is actually in the wrong thread!

playing with electricity again yourself? he was replying to pikers post, the tenth reply

thanks flytire for the link to the faol article, was a good read.