Fly Tying

The clouser minnow is one of the most effective and popular streamers ever made. With any popular fly, there comes variations of it. This variation uses rabbit strips instead of ducktail to tie the fly. Its tied basically the same way, however there are some differences with tying technique since the materials are different.

This fly will move more in the water due to the rabbit strip. While bucktail moves really nicely, it doesn't quite flow as well as rabbit fur.
Being tied hook point up means this fly will be less prone to snags, and can be fished on the bottom more than some other point down type streamers.

Here is a list of materials used on this fly.
Hook: Gamakatsu SS15 size 2
Thread: Danville's 210 flat waxed in white
Weight: Lead dumbell eyes - Medium, yellow painted
Top wing: Rabbit zonker in olive
Bottom wing: Rabbit zonker in white/cream

Good looking attractor pattern but why ,"Clouser" named? Did he invent it? If not, IMO its another double bunny variant with lead eyes. Clousers have a specific character quite unlike a double bunny even with the dumbells.

Rocco

Thanks Rocco...

Its tied much like a clouser, its not a clouser, I know its not a clouser Rocco. But its tied like one. Kinda like people who take synthetic fiber to tie a clouser, still call it a clouser.

Technically this is the only "clouser minnow". Anything else is a variant. Yet people still call it that for some reason. I am doing the same, just because its tied similar, just with different materials.

I'm with Rocco on the name, looks like a good fly. On the synthetic fibre Clouser those are designed to replicate the original clouser minnow for the most part in both looks and movement, this is an entirely different fly, a good looking fly but doesn't resemble a clouser minnow at all imo.

I'm with Rocco on the name, looks like a good fly. On the synthetic fibre Clouser those are designed to replicate the original clouser minnow for the most part in both looks and movement, this is an entirely different fly, a good looking fly but doesn't resemble a clouser minnow at all imo.

Yes your right, it doesn't resemble it at all, but I did think to myself, hmmm. I wonder if a clouser can be tied with rabbit... so I guess it's more of how the fly came about than what it looks like. Either way, it fishes well.

I don't care what you call it, that's a great looking fly! Love the action in the water, nothing moves like rabbit.

As I said back when you started posting these, adding underwater footage adds a great dimension to your videos that is lacking in most others. You always hear guys say things like 'rabbit has great action' but it's another thing to actually see it. Nice job of incorporating various styles of retrieves, especially for this type of fly that can be fished multiple ways

I like the fly, and I understood why you referenced Clouser in the name. It's actually very similar in its construction to the "Improved Double Bunny" that I'm tying for the New & Improved Swap.

I like the underwater footage, too -- I agree with agn54 that it sets your videos apart from most other tying videos.

Nice work!

I don't care what you call it, that's a great looking fly! Love the action in the water, nothing moves like rabbit.

As I said back when you started posting these, adding underwater footage adds a great dimension to your videos that is lacking in most others. You always hear guys say things like 'rabbit has great action' but it's another thing to actually see it. Nice job of incorporating various styles of retrieves, especially for this type of fly that can be fished multiple ways

Thanks! :)

I like the fly, and I understood why you referenced Clouser in the name. It's actually very similar in its construction to the "Improved Double Bunny" that I'm tying for the New & Improved Swap.

I like the underwater footage, too -- I agree with agn54 that it sets your videos apart from most other tying videos.

Nice work!

It is very similar to the double bunny as well.

It is a great fly.

The Double Bunny is a proven trout getter, it was banned from the Jackson Hole One Fly tournament after winning 3 Years straight.

When I do a rendition of this one I will call it McFly's HRU Double Bunny since Hook Rides Up. Will attempt it in about a size 8 or 10, too, with Mink or Pine Squirrel. It should be very useful at Lake DeSmet where the rocky cobble is very rough and tends to snag if you try to hop the presentation along the bottom.

Thanks McFly, this is a great video, combining the legendary Scott Sanchez creation with Clouser functionality. Keep up your good work and keep posting

If that was me, the first time I put it in the aquarium to film it, It would get snagged on the wood and I'd break off.. LOL.. There goes another one!!

If that was me, the first time I put it in the aquarium to film it, It would get snagged on the wood and I'd break off.. LOL.. There goes another one!!

Naw, not with this fly.... Hard to snag with hook point up...