Fly Tying
fshng2

Mop Fly Variant

That looks good, fshng2. What size hook did you use? The video says size 10. I'd be inclined to use a size 8 or possibly a size 6.

I used a #10 wide gap barbless jig hook.

I'm thinking larger hooks would work too especially for the big ones and bass.

I plan to try it soon and with other colors.

I figure Mikechell will chime in since he is the king of bluegills.

I tied up a couple tonight in chartreuse and orange. Pretty sure I tied them on a size 8, but it might have been a 10. Plan on doing some fishing in a local creek tomorrow, so I'll give them a shot. Might even catch a trout or two on the. The only thing I changed up was I used sparkle chenille for the "thorax" covering the "wings"

Philly your going fishing today got me thinking I should try the Everett's Bluegill Fly.

I took only 3 flies, an Ivory, a yellow, and the brown one from the post.

I tried the Ivory one first and caught a few but the yellow one did much better.

Lastly I tied on the brown one and it was like the pond was ready to party....they loved that thing.

Here are a few of the nicer ones from today (all released).

AYTMyQ2.jpg

EdZAgrH.jpg

sWxInIS.jpg

JPea87t.jpg

You did better than I did. I got to the creek a bit late. It had been overcast all morning, but the overcast broke just as I hit the water and the air temperature shot up into the 80's. Saw a lot of fish, trout, sunfish and some largemouth, but they just weren't interested. Got a lot of follows but only one solid hit, probably from a trout. All the sunfish I saw were small. The bass were in the 10 to 12 inch range and the trout were decent size. So I ended up getting skunked. Still it was nice to get out. Plan to tie a few more of the pan fish flies tonight. I'll add a couple of tan and brown ones and see if that helps.

Leprechaun

Mop: Wind on then shear to size

Hook: #6

Creator of this trout fly: Peter Wood

OgRXosU.jpg

I was up in the Poconos last week and used various mop flies with decent success. One of the floating mop flies tied with material from the swap produced one of my better days. Some of the bluegills I caught and the bass that made my week.

post-309-0-38650700-1527735405_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-74430400-1527735472_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-35511800-1527735504_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-64384900-1527735570_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-14580800-1527735618_thumb.jpg

Nice ones Philly.

It's good to see the "MoP Force" was with you and it didn't let you down.

I have to add some of those floaters to my quiver, glad you had a good vacation.

Nice crappie. They'd be tasty, breaded and deep fried. I always have good luck with, I would call it, fluorescent yellow chartreuse. I'm going to have to start trimming some of my mop pieces. All the fish in my pictures came on mop pieces with a tapered tail.

NIce find & flies.

I'm always on the look out for tying stuff too.

What did you catch with em?

I never really tried blue until I got a couple of blue pieces in the swap. What I did with them was make a floating mop fly with black crystal chenille wings. Sort of a crippled damsel fly. I tied two up and the sunfish destroyed them when I was up in the Poconos at the end of May. I need to check and see if I have anymore blue pieces.