Fly Tying
flytire

HMH TVR tying vise.....

Very helpful review Mike, thank you.

Just 2 Questions. Any closeup photos available? If so, a side by side shot with the Law?

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Ken

Just a quick reply using my alter ego. I spoke to Jon at HMH yesterday and he didnt seem to want to discuss the issues I had with my TRV, he just said he had refunded my credit card although the refund hasnt shown up on my account. As a matter of fact if he had offered to replace my vice with a better made one I would have accepted.

Today another guy who has just received his TRV spoke to me on the phone. He seemed to be not unhappy with his although he hasnt actually used it yet. He did say the jaws on his were smooth whereas ,as you can see from my photos , mine were definitely rough cast and in no way were they tool steel. So maybe I just got a bad one. I guess only time will tell when a few more reviews roll in from other purchasers.

Cheers and a Happy Xmas

Bazzer

Here a few pictures I will try and attach more. I apologize that they are rotated the wrong way this happens automatically when they are uploaded. If anyone knows how to remedy this please let me know.

Thanks,

Michael

post-34900-0-48739100-1513886939_thumb.jpg

If anyone knows how to remedy this please let me know.

It is a combination of things, and apparently you have the right wrong combination.

Look at your phone, rotate to the left and take the picture in landscape. Upload pic and let us see the result.

If anyone knows how to remedy this please let me know.

It is a combination of things, and apparently you have the right wrong combination.

Look at your phone, rotate to the left and take the picture in landscape. Upload pic and let us see the result.

Worked for me!

Turning my computer on it's side worked well ... the pictures look fine, MV.

Quite obvious the picture with the scissors in the background are die cast jaws ... the other is machined stock.

Not all that concerned with how the jaws look on the outside...it's the inside that concerns me. If the vise holds the hook, the rest is eye-candy....well, not all the rest, but I'd be concerned about how the jaws line up with the hook and the rotation qualities.

The difference between a $500 vise and a $3000 vise are pretty obvious. How does it do the job? Some hints here, but I'd love to see more reviews of how the TRV does in tying a fly and perhaps a little less on how the base slopes downward.

Here is one comparing the LAW to TRV...

Just as a matter of interest why would you want a TRV when you already have a LAW?

Collectors, Bazzer. I don't have the collecting gene ... but I know a lot of people who do.

Stamps, coins, baseball card or comic books, fly tying vises, Hummels (my Mom's vice) ... "more" is just a necessity of life to a collector.

Collectors, Bazzer. I don't have the collecting gene ... but I know a lot of people who do.

Stamps, coins, baseball card or comic books, fly tying vises, Hummels (my Mom's vice) ... "more" is just a necessity of life to a collector.

I was thinking this a day or two ago, if this hundred is all they make just like this, the future value might be a lot greater than the current cost.If I had that collectors gene this would certainly be of interest.

I was thinking this a day or two ago, if this hundred is all they make just like this, the future value might be a lot greater than the current cost.If I had that collectors gene this would certainly be of interest.

Damn, I didnt think of that, I shouldnt have returned mine, I could have made some serious coin!

Here are a few more, this one shows the jaws and hook grooves ff both the TRV and the LAW...

Thank you Mike for taking the time and effort to put up photos of the HMH.

Cleared up a lot of fears...