Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TroutRuleBassDrool

Panfish Flies

This may seem like a broad question, but i looked around on the net and came up with very little. I've read Harrison Steeves' new book Tying Flies with Foam, Fur and Feathers and i got a few patterns (such as the LA Ant , UFO and the Firefly) but I'm still looking for other patterns I can use for Panfish. I also tied up some of these Fishy's Hoppers, but my fly box still seems like it's missing something. Because the nearest flyshop is about 30 minutes from me, my supplies are limited. mad.gif sad.gif . Does anybody care to share some panfish flies? I would appreciate any patterns which contain foam, because that is one thing i have an abundance of, but any pattern using marabou or chenille is fine.

Thanks! Tight Lines! TRBD

Smalliehunter has just started an editor program for questions like this one. Editor Program

It's still in the devolopment stages and will be awesome when it's all set up. ridderbos3 is gonna be the editor for panfish and I'm sure he will probably know of some good patterns for you. When I was growing up, if we wanted to catch panfish, other than worms, we did great using banana spiders.

I'm sure you could find a better picture but they're pretty much a yellow spider with black stripes here and there.user posted image

In addition to topwater foam flies, I use a ton of nymphs. MY favorite is the red foxsquirrel nymph. There are a lot of good bluegill flies out there. Most trout nymphs work good for gills, prince nymphs work good, Hare's ears, sparrows, etc.

John

Use a glass bead caddis immitation. Its just some seed beads on a hook with some peacock herl for a head. The glitter really attracts them and they never seem to tire of it.

You should check the Pattern database. a couple of good flies for panfish are the wollyworm, dasmel/leech, Small buggers and muddlers,small frog immitations, stimulators, and cray patterns. Again check the database.

i really like the looks of that one, especially if you are watching the fly to see if it disappears. YOu would definitely see that one under water.

TRBD,

Take a look at the Cahaba X For a great warm water terrestrial/attractor pattern.

To toot my own horn, you could also check out my article on soft hackle flies for panfish.

Jason

QUOTE (TroutRuleBassDrool @ Mar 3 2005, 05:03 PM)
Does anybody care to share some panfish flies? Thanks! Tight Lines! TRBD

Bully's Bluegill Spider - size 12. Use a peacock herl or chenille body, 4 legs of thin white or black rubber and weight the hook at the bend so it drops tail-first causing the legs to splay and wiggle. It's fished "on the drop" and is a killer.

Joe C

What they said... but don't forget small streamers. I get nice 'gills on streamers from size 10 to 6. Last Summer a White size 6 Zonker was killer on big Bluegills.

I use poppers, rubber spiders, and small clousers weighted with with small beadchain eyes. The clousers hsould be made so the tail dosen't extend more than 5/16 inch past the bend of the hook, otherwise the gills will just nip at the tail. For the foam rubber for the spiders I just use craft foam from the craft store or Wal Mart.

Other flies that have worked well for me ar gill getters (far away my most successful gill pattern), and brim flies. You can find the patterns for these on my website which should be below. (look under the bass and panfish pattterns.)

Small trout flies often work well as well. Where I usually fish, a small royal coachman wet fly or streamer is a favorite of the bluegills.

Mark Delaney

I learned, through the years, that the type of water you are fishing can make a really big difference as to what bluegill want. I fished a large pond that was very clear. The best patterns, for me at this location, are a sz6 yellow woolly worm, sz 12 tan elk hair caddis, soft hackle hare's ear(the regular hare's ear nymph did not work well, at all), a tan caddis larva(woks well early in the year), a tan scud, Royal Wulff dry fly(works really well, but they shred it pretty quick). I also had good success with a caddis larva tied with Pearl green & olive Lite brite. Just taper the body like you would on a regular caddis larva. A modified caddis was super effective for me. It had a flourescent orange body with dark brown hair wing. Smaller than sz 12, and the bluegill will swallow it. Larger than a sz 10, and you will miss more fish....as they seem to not be able to get it easily into their mouths.

I never had much luck with the Bully flies at this pond.

In dirtier water, I found poppers to better. It is interesting to note that I have had very little success with poppers in clear water.