Fly Tying
zip

Need to blow off steam

It should be made clear that many of these comments are only partially serious.

You guys are going to scare new members who do not know you well enough.

Let them get to know you, and THEN get scared... :)

Two pet peeves for me:

1. 99 cent store actually is 99.9999 cents per item. With over $2 billion in net sales each year, that 1 penny per item makes the company $20 million each year, but they get away with it nonetheless. I feel very strongly that I have a right to the whole $20 million.

2. Fly fisherman who talk to me and near me when I'm fishing.

Steve, when the drums are banging it,s a good time to mow the grass, blow the leaves, use the the snow blower, depending on the season..lol. because you like working to music..lol.

maybe you should direct your hate at the politicians who make stupid laws mainly to keep things stirred up

You underestimate us Ben...there's enough hate to go around for everyone smile.png lol

I am registered "Independent" because I believe ALL politicians are corrupted and false. Republican and Democrat alike, all they truly care about is their own pockets. In other words, as Steve said, politicians are people. And we hate people ... yes, yes we do!

And I thought that I was following a nice friendly sociable group.

signed; Hermit Les

Les ... you've been one of us for a very long time. You ain't following a nice, friendly, sociable group ... you're one of it's leaders !!!

It should be made clear that many of these comments are only partially serious.

You guys are going to scare new members who do not know you well enough.

Let them get to know you, and THEN get scared... smile.png

Yes, many of the comment are partly serious. So, y'all newcomers. Do your best to be one of us ... not one of "Those People!"

I've been reading this thread with interest. I, too, am a private person by nature. I need a bit of time every day when I am left alone; time by myself, for myself, in order to function more or less appropriately when I am around other people. I, too, detest noise and intrusion into my personal "happy place" by other humans. I, too, am dumbfounded and sometimes enraged by the behavior of some people when they get behind the wheel of an automobile. Humans can be thoughtless, inconsiderate, and ignorant to a point considerably beyond obnoxiousness; of this there is no doubt.

I do not, however, "hate people", and I do not permit my children to adopt this brand of casual hostility either. I believe it's a dangerous way to think--always assuming that "we" are "right", that whatever is "wrong" in the world is the fault of "the other(s)", and that the world would be a better place if everyone just thought, felt, and acted like "us". That kind of thinking is literally an invitation to larger social ills. The truth, if any of use care to see it, is that, on any given day, any given commute or trip to the grocery store or afternoon spent on the water or whatever, our encounters with other humans are 99.9% benign. Think about it-- how many other drivers are on the road with you on any given trip? Unless you live somewhere pretty remote, the answer is dozens, if not hundreds or even thousands. Out of those, how many actually commit one of the offenses that so enrage us? ALL of them? Hardly. Typically one or two, maybe, but certainly not all of them. Same goes for other acts of rudeness or discourtesy that we get so steamed about--people not saying "please" and "thank you", people talking too loud or too much (or both), people saying things that are profoundly stupid or just plain mean, people not "controlling" (a troubling term) their kids...on and on it goes. Sure, it happens; maybe it even happens every day, but it's not EVERYBODY doing it ALL the time. How could it possibly be?

The truth is that we simply pay far more attention to the people who rankle us than we do to the hundreds or thousands of people that we live in close proximity to and interact with every day who are perfectly nice, courteous, pleasant, friendly, and entirely socially appropriate. We go out into the world, interact with armies of people who conduct themselves just as we'd have them do, and come home fuming about the one or two who did something that pissed us off. We dwell on them and their behavior, sometimes far too long and with far too much rancor. And what do we get for our trouble? Higher blood pressure, loads of heart-clogging fat dumped into our arteries from going into fight-or-flight mode over some dufus who couldn't be bothered to use his turn signal or something equally minor, ranting and foul moods for our families to endure, and a lot of energy poured into what amounts to basically the cost of doing business on planet Earth.

What we're really saying when we use phrases like, "I hate people", is "I dislike the behavior of less than 1% of the people I encounter daily, and I lack the emotional maturity to deal with it like an adult."

Where do I get off saying all this as if I know something about it? Well, as it happens, I do. I spent most of my life "hating people". If I had a nickel for every time I'd said that phrase, well, let's just say I'd have a much bigger boat today. smile.png

I poisoned my first marriage and ruined 12 years of a really sweet, kind, loving person's life because I couldn't be bothered to grow up and control my boundless wrath. I damn near fixed it so that my kids got to grow up without me ever seeing them again. I almost killed myself before I got my eyes opened.

I still struggle with this daily. In about an hour, I will drive home. I'll be on the road for a little over an hour, and during that time, I will probably have the impulse to yell at people and curse their existence at least a few times. I'm going to try and resist it, though, because if there's one thing I know for certain, it's that life is too short already. Those people? They're just like me, the vast majority of them. I'm not better than them. I do--or have done--the same stupid crap they've done at one time or another, or something even worse. Life is short, but we do get to decide where and how we spend our time and energy.

I don't expect to change anyone but myself. This is just my two cents' worth.

thanks.

Bryon

First let me say... OUCH! secondly, AMEN!

i agree completely. It is an easy trap to fall into... all of it. Anger, hate, short fused actions, looking for the worst in people, and on and on it goes. Thanks for sharing Byron.

Bryon maybe it is not as bad in the town you live in, but around here, the idiots on the rod are not just one or two or even a few like you said, it IS in fact the vast majority where I live. If I go to Walmart & home like I just did today then I see no less than 12-15 people on the road doing something that is not just irritating, but down right dangerous. And thats just a 4 mile round trip!

For some reason people for the past 1-2 years have started running red lights and making that the "norm" to do. I honestly (and this is no lie) would say just about every intersection I come to around here I have to wait after it turns green because some a'hole comes flying through on red. And that's just one example. I won't even go into people in stores cutting in front of you as you get in line or people backing out of a parking place without even looking and almost hitting you when you are already half way out of your spot.

It's just plain ignorant selfish behavior and personally I'm tired of letting it slide. I don't yell scream or curse at them because they aren't worth my time over it. But if people are that plain stupid, ignorant and selfish then yes I will hate people and hate being around them. Because honestly at 46 years old I have come to a point in my life where I am tired of dealing with stupidity on a daily bases and I really couldn't care less anymore if someone thinks its wrong of me for hating stupid people. If someone is kind, caring, has common sense and doesn't act like an ass then I like them and no problem being around them. But if someone is a jerk, selfish, and acts like a fool then I will not apologize at all for saying I hate people.

What we're really saying when we use phrases like, "I hate people", is "I dislike the behavior of less than 1% of the people I encounter daily, and I lack the emotional maturity to deal with it like an adult."

Don't assume that I lack emotional maturity just because I say I hate people. Maybe that's your opinion but nothing could be further from the truth for me. You don't know me and have never meet me in person to know the first thing about my emotional maturity so that's quite an inaccurate assumption on your part. So don't try to tell me what I really mean when I say something. If you think less of me or don't agree with me saying I hate people than that's perfectly fine . You have every right to feel and think how you want just as I have that same right to think & feel how I want.

We dwell on them and their behavior, sometimes far too long and with far too much rancor. And what do we get for our trouble? Higher blood pressure, loads of heart-clogging fat dumped into our arteries from going into fight-or-flight mode over some dufus who couldn't be bothered to use his turn signal or something equally minor, ranting and foul moods for our families to endure, and a lot of energy poured into what amounts to basically the cost of doing business on planet Earth.

Bryon,

I appreciate your sentiment on this subject, I truly do. But I don't agree on many ... many ... of the points you make.

Wow! I just typed about eight paragraphs and then deleted them. Going on about things "social" and "P.C." minds can't comprehend.

Just suffice it to say that you're confusing hatred with anger. Two separate emotions. I hate cold weather ... doesn't mean I get all blood pressury and hot headed about it. I deal with it as needed and then hope it goes away.

I hate people. I don't get angry at them, I just deal with them as needed and then hope they go away (die).

Anger is childish, I agree. Proper hatred is as adult an emotion as possible.

See I don't even agree that anger is childish IMO. Because as humans we are all emotional creatures. We all experience every emotion there is no matter if it is love/hate/sadness/joy or anger. If someone cuts me off and almost hits me because they feel they are more important than me I can get angry or hate that but that doesn't make the emotion immature just because I feel that emotion. My reaction to and actions in response to feeling that emotion is what would be immature. If I get out of the car and kick someone's ass for doing that to me then it becomes immature. Just simply having that emotion or feeling a certain way though IMO does not make it less mature.

Just the way I see things.

my xterra is getting old, I have an old football helmet, been thinking about just letting them hit me.

if my car survives, its a free fishing trip.

just thinking about it anyway.

you know, the guys that merge by driving on the shoulder for 50 yards to pass all of us stuck in 5 mph traffic.

wink.png

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary: Definition of hate

: intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear, anger, or sense of injury

b : extreme dislike or disgust : antipathy, loathing
  • had a great hate of hard work
  • You are right Mike. Hate and anger are two different things but you are wrong in assuming that they don't go hand-in-hand. Hate is the handiwork of anger as the above definition states. I will not let you redefine terms to suit your opinion. Anger is one of the starting points of hate. There is no hate without anger. You can, however, be angry and not hate...if you are in control of your anger, that is. Anger does not have to be destructive. It can be an agent of change and help achieve positive results. Hate is neither positive nor a impetus of good will. So when you say you hate...lets just say you are no longer a part of a solution but you have become a part of the problem.

Here I'll be a part of the solution. Topic closed because it's getting pretty stupid now.

HATE/ANGRY that I closed it? Oh well.

There's 7 billion people in the world so there's gonna be a LOT of different opinions and feelings on things especially when it comes to talking about being around other people. The fact that some people feel the need to tell other people how they should feel is ridiculous. People need to take care of their own lives and not try to tell other people how they should or shouldn't live theirs.